It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2001, 06:22 AM   #1

Julianna HB User
does anyone with thyroid probelms suffer from Vitiligo?

I was just wondering if any of you have a skin condition called Vitiligo. My endo. says its very common with people who have thyroid probelms. I would be very interested to see just how many of us have this probelm.....Thanks alot

Old 12-07-2001, 04:14 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: does anyone with thyroid probelms suffer from Vitiligo?

Hi Juliana. Since Vitiligo (loss of skin pigmentation, in case anyone was wondering) is an autoimmune disorder, I'd expect it to be rather common among thyroid folks -- particularly those of us with thyroid antibodies (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). But I've not seen it discussed on this board.

The British Vitiligo Society says that it's a genetic disorder and that approximately 30% (particularly female) vitiligo patients will also develop thyroid antibodies or some other thyroid disease. But I haven't found anything stating the converse is also true.
<A HREF="http://www.vitiligosociety.org.uk/genes.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.vitiligosociety.org.uk/genes.html</A>
<A HREF="http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/154.html" TARGET=_blank>http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/154.html</A>
<A HREF="http://www.avrf.org/Vitiligo_Defined/Frequently_Asked_Questions.cfm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.avrf.org/Vitiligo_Defined/Frequently_Asked_Questions.cfm</A>

Anyone with experience on this topic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2001, 02:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Like Artful, I have seen it mentioned mostly with other autoimmune problems. It is more prevalent in people with endocrine problems like Type I Diabetes, Hypothyroidism (especially when caused by Hashimoto's), and hypoadrenalism. One article I have read mentioned hypopituitary, which makes sense, since that would cause both hypothyroid and hypoadrenal indirectly.

It doesn't appear that any of these things are the cause, but that they seem to appear together more often than not in people with Vitiligo. For the record, I am mildly hypoadrenal, and hypothyroid, but have no abnormal pigmentation.

Old 12-08-2001, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

I am hypo, no loss of pigmentation...just the reverse, I have more color since being on thyroid med.
(better circulation maybe.)

Old 12-11-2001, 03:40 PM   #5

SusanM HB User

I have been told that I may have vitiligo (spelling). I had a bout of postpartem thyroiditis that started about 19 months ago. I had very high antithyroid antibodies. After the birth of my first daughter 6 3/4 years ago I started getting small white spots on my arms-not too many-and it didn't progress. After my second child (and the postpartem problem) I started getting a lot more of the spots on my arms. They are the size of a pencil head eraser, and are very noticable when I tan. I'm just waiting to see how it progresses. I've been told by two docs that it might be the pigment problem. My thyroid levels are normal, and I'm not on meds now, so I'll just have to see what happens with time. Anyone else with a similar problem? Susan -I also have the spots on my legs.<p>[This message has been edited by SusanM (edited 12-12-2001).]

Old 12-12-2001, 03:53 PM   #6

Julianna HB User

Just wanted to thank everyone for their reply. I also have vitiligo. I think it started because of my thyroid being out of whack.I was hyper and now I'm hypo. It started with little white spots on my hands which spread to little spots on the forearms. I have also noticed spots on my legs. I am very fair to begin with so it does'nt show that much unless I sit in the sun. I try to avoid the sun now so the contrast is not that noticeable. There is a good website which I go to for support and to talk with other people who have this conditon. Its called Vitiligosupport.com in case anyone is interested. Thanks again everyone.

Closed Thread