It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2002, 02:55 PM   #1

ocpik HB User
Can anyone make any sense out of this?

Hi

I have been patiently waiting for test results from a nuclear scan for two weeks. As I have written before, I have multiple nodules throughout my thyroid and have had a choking feeing for months now. The reason my doctor hasn't called was that he went on vacation a week after my scan. His nurse, however, called me on Friday to tell me that the scan was "nomal" and that the size, etc. was noral. No mention about hot or cold which was what I was expecting. She couldn't really tell me any more because she didn't have the medical expertise but she did read the report to me and used the words normal function, scan, size, etc. I just want to know if this could be my thyroid causing this discomfort or if it could be something else. I have had a neck and chest xray, a complete exam with my ENT doctor and a barium swallow all (-). This feeling of something lodged in my throat is consuming me. It is uncomfortable but it also worries me daily. If it is thyroid related, with everything coming back normal, including throid levels, is there anything they can do for me besides taking out my thyroid. Does this rule out cancer? My doctor won't be back until the middle of this week. I am getting so frustrated about all of this waiting. My previous ENT doctor that sent me for the ultrasound, went on vacation for a week after my test too making me wait for two weeks the last time as well. I just want some answers. Can any of you experts shed any light on this before my doctor returns. I am getting so tired of doctors that never get back to me. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Can anyone make any sense out of this?

Hi ocpik. Glad to hear that the test results appear to be "normal." That basically means that the nodule tissue does not appear unusual on scan. Thyroid cancer is typically found in patients with single nodules or in cases where one nodule is much larger than the others. Multiple nodules are less likely to be cancerous. It sounds like the nurse read you the part about your thyroid gland only if she didn't mention anything about hot or cold nodules, but if the bottom line of the scan interpretation was "normal," that's good news. When the doctor is back, ask him/her about the findings of your nodules.

The choking feeling you describe is most likely associated with these nodules. A "normal" scan does not rule out thyroid disease.

Here's an article about symptoms and thyroid disease you may find interesting:
<A HREF="http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa090500a.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa090500a.htm</A>

Old 04-22-2002, 04:40 AM   #3

ocpik HB User
Re: Can anyone make any sense out of this?

Hi ArtfulD

I just wanted to thank you for all of the information and support you have supplied to me throughout this process. You are very kind! I will let you know what my doctor says this week, Ocpik

Closed Thread