It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2001, 12:20 PM   #1

blueberry HB User
no thyroid & hydroxycut - does that work?

I have been without a thyroid for 8 yrs now and am on Synthroid 150 mcg forever. Recently I started working out regularly and taking hydroxycut. I've read up on how hydroxycut works and was wondering if it is still effective in the absence of a thyroid. If you know anything about this, pls reply. It would be very helpful.
Thanks!

Old 12-07-2001, 12:51 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: no thyroid & hydroxycut - does that work?

Hi Blueberry, and welcome. I'd never heard about Hydroxycut until now. But, looking it up on the web, I see that it's a fat-burning product that works on your metabolism. The active ingredients are Hydroxagen (hydroxycitric acid), MaHuang (ephedrine), Guarana, Willow Bark, L-Carnitine, Chromium Picolinate.

Three of these ingredients definitely speed things up in your body, can cause palpitations, and should NOT be used by anyone with a history of heart disease or disorders. It's also not meant for long-term (greater than a couple weeks) use.

It's probably a good idea to consult your doctor before using ANY metabolizing product, but I'd especially recommend checking with yours since you are a thyroid patient.

There are always alarmist posts on the web about this sort of product, but this one seemed to make sense:

<B>Question: Is It Safe To Take Hydroxycut For Weight Loss If You Have Thyroid Problems?</B>

I have had problems with my thyroid for the past 6 years. I can control it with prescribed drugs, but I have about 20 lbs. that I would like to lose. Upon reading some comments regarding a racing heart, and other symptoms of Hydroxycut, will it in fact mess with my thyroid? I won't start taking it until I hear from someone. Thanks!

<B>Answer #1</B>
I am an RN, and I can tell you that if you have problems with your thyroid, using any supplement that affects your metabolism is extremely dangerous! It sounds as though you most likely have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid daily as a hormone replacement. For this reason (assuming this is the case), the twenty extra pounds you have are most likely at least partially attributed to your naturally lower metabolic rate. However, even though hydoxycut or any fat burner temporarily increases your metabolic rate, I would not recommend using these products, simply because you already are predisposed to metabolic problems related to your thyroid condition. Again, this info is assuming a lot, and I would recommend speaking with your doctor about this ASAP.

Here's the warning label from the package (now required on all products containing Ephedra):

<I>U.S. Federal Trade Commission Warning: This product contains ephedra or ephedrine. Taking more than the recommended serving may result in heart attack, stroke, seizure or death. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have high blood pressure, heart or thyroid disease, diabetes, difficulty urinating, prostate enlargement, or glaucoma, or are using any prescription drug. Do not use if you are taking a MAO inhibitor or any allergy, asthma, or cold medication containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine. Discontinue use if dizziness, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, or nausea occurs.</I>
<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 12-07-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #3

blueberry HB User
Re: no thyroid & hydroxycut - does that work?

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it definitely.

Closed Thread