It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2001, 08:23 PM   #1

chitown HB User
lupus

Can lupus affect the thyroid?

Old 11-14-2001, 10:38 PM   #2
Unregistered

Re: lupus

Hi Chitown:

I was diagnosed with Lupus eight years ago. I was told that Lupus can affect your organs, but they never specifically mentioned the thyroid. I now am having thyroid problems and I am still going through tests to identify the problem. I have swelling and difficulty swallowing. My current doctor feels that this is related to the Lupus. Therefore, yes I do feel that Lupus can affect your thyroid. I hope that this is helpful. I have alot of experience with Lupus so feel free to ask more questions!

I wish you the very best!

ROSICOLE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2001, 08:15 PM   #3

chitown HB User

Thanks for responding. I suspect I have lupus. Positive c-reactive protein. Very elevated ana. Muscle pain, alot. Fatique. Not really a rash but when I get in the sun I look like I have a rash across my cheeks and nose. I have chest pain. I also have elevated thyroid antibodies and a tsh of 8. I don't know, I am just guessing. Any insite?

Old 11-15-2001, 09:57 PM   #4
Unregistered

Chitown:

I feel that there is a very good chance that this could be Lupus. The ANA that you had done is indicitive of several auto-immune diseases, however it is usually Lupus (in my experience) that will give someone a very high ANA. Along with that you also have many of the symptoms. The rash your getting sounds like the rash seen in Lupus. They call it a butter-fly rash because of the pattern it forms on the face. What is the titer of your ANA (how high)? I would suggest if your not seeing a Rheumatologist that you find one ASAP.

In regards to the thyroid, your TSH is very high and I hope your physician has started treatment. I have learned that thyroid problems can give you many of the symptoms of Lupus. However, the high ANA would suggest something like Lupus.

I hope that you feel better very soon and that I have been of some help!

ROSI

Old 11-16-2001, 07:22 PM   #5

chitown HB User

hi. mY ana WAS 1-1280. I was put on armour after I pled my case and really against the doctors wishes. That was about 8 weeks ago. The latest test done last week showed the tsh down to 1.? The ANA was as stated above. I am aching so bad. My hair is falling out again. I am a little worried. I will have a physical soon but I don't know if I will be taken seriously. I do have to say that the thyroid med has helped the constipation and fatigue. I figured that whatever is attacking my body has also attacked my thyroid.

Old 11-17-2001, 02:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

I am sure that whatever is attacking your body has also attacked your thyroid. That is common. It was good to ask for a thyroid med trial.

It can take months and even years for some symptoms to go away. New hair loss may have stopped but can take months to really show it. Whatever hair has died will still fal out and new hair takes a long time to come in. Muscle and joint pain is common with Lupus, and may or may not be connected. All you can do is wait and see.

Get the book, The Thyroid Solution, for a lot of info you will need to combat the thyroid issue and things you need to do for yourself. The Information Archive topic here has lots of info too.
<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 11-21-2001).]

Old 11-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #7

SusanM HB User

People with one autoimmune disease are more likely than others to develop other autoimmune diseases. Hashimoto's disease is one of the most commonly associated autoimmune diseases that appears with Lupus. You may have both, Lupus and an autoimmune thyroid disease. Thyroid disease by itself may cause a mildly elevated ana level, not typically the high one like yours just from thyroid disease. Best wishes.

Old 11-20-2001, 05:59 PM   #8

chitown HB User

Thanks to all of you. It has helped alot. Hopefully things will be better soon.

Closed Thread