It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #1

momistj HB User
nodules

I have a question that I keep forgeting to ask my dr maybe someone out there can help. In Sept I had half of my thyroid removed for a nodule that was growing at a fairly fast rate. I still have the left side what is the chances of getting nodules on the left. All the path test came back fine it was just a huge goiter. By the way high to every one I have been gone for a while. I had surg in Sept. My grandfather passed away in Oct and my grandma had a 4 way bypass in Nov so I have been very busy. Hope everyone is doing well.

------------------
Stay Happy and Healthy
Prayers to all
TDJ

Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 AM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: nodules

Hi Momistj, good to have you back. My condolences for your grandfather, and I hope your grandmother is doing well.

How are you feeling four months after your surgery? Can you touch your neck without tenderness? I was told to knead my scar (twiddle it between your fingers in all directions) to help break down the scar tissue. It's somewhat painful initially, but it does work. By 10 months, my neck was smooth and the scar was completely flat.

Now, about nodule recurrences...the articles I was able to find on the web were mostly journal theses with small study groups of patients. Their findings were somewhat inconsistent (23-45% recurrence, depending upon the type of surgery and the patient's post-surgery blood levels), but many promoted the idea of post-surgery thyroid meds for a short time as a therapy to suppress the TSH and minimize nodule recurrence.

Some docs proclaim this to be an archaic treatment, and there is a movement to only provide thyroid medication post-surgery to patients with elevated TSH (or other indications of hypothyroidism). They also argue that the previous studies of nodule recurrence were uncontrolled and their results unreliable. It is more common now to stop post-operative thyroid meds once a patient is no longer hypothyroid, and let the patient's body do its job.

By the way, it seems that the percentage of recurrence appears to be the lowest for your type of surgery (unilateral lobectomy), as opposed to those who had surgery on both lobes.

I don't recall, are you on any meds right now? I think the best way to start is to have a discussion with your Endo about his/her experience with post-surgery nodule patients and what he/she feels would be your best treatment options. Careful monitoring of your blood levels (every 2-3 months) is probably a good idea, and watch for hypothyroid symptoms.

If you want to read through some of the technical documents I mentioned, type in "partial thyroidectomy nodule recurrence" in a search engine like Google, and look for the links that do not mention cancer.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 01-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi momistj,

It is good to "see" you! TF

Old 01-17-2002, 08:22 PM   #4
Inactive

darlene HB User

Hi Momistj - I read your posting and thought you would like to hear what is going on with my set of circumstances. Ten years ago I had 2/3 of my thyroid removed and was told I did not heed medication because 1/3 of the thyroid was enough. Now, I just had an ultra sound because the doctor noticed my thyroid looked "full", he called me today and said they found nodules on my thyroid and now I have to go in next week for a thyroid scan. So, yes there is a chance they do come back on the part of the thyroid that was left. The doctor said I probably had a thyroid scan the first time, but I don't think I did. All they did was the ultra sound and then send me to an ENT for a needle biopsy. The ENT chose not to do the biopsy because like he said whether it was malignant or benign it still had to come out because I had a tumor that was making me feel as if I was choking.

Darlene

Closed Thread