It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2002, 02:43 AM   #1

Sunshine Blue HB User
Eat For Your blood Type?

Hi All,

I have been reading this board for awhile now, I am Hypothyroid and taking Synthroid. I was eating quite a bit of soy products and I do really like the milk. Well, then I read how soy can adversely affect your thyroid, so I stopped. Now I just read this blood type book and it says that soy is good for type A positive even if you are hypo. Also that the soy thing and thyroid is not that serious. I am getting more confused the more stuff I read. Every so called "expert" seems to have a contradiction to the previous one. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions welcomed. Sunshine Blue

Old 01-22-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: Eat For Your blood Type?

I don't believe that the "eat for your blood type" info is widely scientifically accepted, though it "sounds' good.

Even if it was perfectly scientific, soy is definitely known to be an estrogen dominant product, and estrogen does affect thyroid needs and assimilation into the body.
Soy is not the best way to get the protein one needs, type A or not.

If you are not deficient in estrogen, you don't need that in your body, either.<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 01-22-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I am going to have to disagree with the "eat for your blood type" philosopy also. Numerous studies have been done to show that Soy interferes with thyroid production as well as causing the thyroid hormones to be bound to proteins in your blood just like with excessive estrogen.

The estrogenic effects of soy are not as strong as those of the real thing, and since Soy binds to estrogen receptors, it blocks the real thing from being as effective, too.

Both effects occur regardless of blood type, or even species. The studies have been done on birds, livestock, rats, human clinical trials, etc. Personally, I wouldn't take my chances.

For the real lowdown here's a good website: <A HREF="http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Meep (edited 01-22-2002).]

Old 01-22-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

if the concern is avoiding fat in meat, then of course, eating the leaner meats/fish is appropriate in the eat for your blood type diet.

But I recommend avoiding most soy products.

Old 01-23-2002, 11:30 PM   #5

Sunshine Blue HB User

Thank you for your responses. I forgot to mention that I am taking Estrace(estrogen) also becuse I am in menopause. So I 'm getting estrogen even with out the soy. I'm not taking a chance on all the other things that can happen without it . I think Menopause and being Hypo is a really awful mix . Plus my Dr. put me on Celexa for depression, which I stopped two weeks ago.I have never been a person to take anything more than an aspirin and it just seemed like too much. Sunshine Blue

Old 01-24-2002, 12:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sunshine Blue,
I take estrogen, too. I have no ovaries, so like you, I need it.
It is just that getting estrogen from soy can overdo it.

Closed Thread