It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2001, 07:51 AM   #1

Lynda HB User
Calcification and cancer

I have been searching for information on calcification of nodules in the thyroid and everything I bring up mentions cancer. Even though my report said it is benign, now I am worried. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2001, 01:01 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Calcification and cancer

Hi again Lynda.

Because you have a multinodular goiter, there is less likelihood that cancer is present. Abnormal cells would more typically be present in a single nodule or a goiter with a large predominant nodule, rather than the several small ones noted on your ultrasound.

I found this on thyroidmanager.org:

"Calcification in the wall of cysts may give some indication of the nature of lesions and the length of time they have been present. Sandy or grit-like calcification suggests the presence of papillary carcinoma of long duration. Rings, coarse flakes, and streaks are typical of benign processes. Ultrasound examination of the thyroid may give added information on the extent of the nodular enlargement of the thyroid gland and may reveal cystic areas or calcification."

The best way to determine the nature of the calcification is an additional test. Your Endocrinologist will most likely want to follow-up with an FNA biopsy as a double-check. It's a fast procedure he/she can do in the office. A small amount of fluid is removed via Fine Needle Aspiration, and they examine the fluid for abnormal cells.

I'm glad you're being so diligent. Keep us informed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2001, 01:07 PM   #3

Lynda HB User

Thank you so much for replying! I feel SO much better now!!!

Old 01-08-2002, 02:21 PM   #4

Sherrill Davis HB User

I too have calcification of the thyroid, Sherrill

Please post here, only.
Thanks.
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-08-2002).]

Closed Thread