It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2002, 10:18 AM   #1

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Winter and Hypo?

Has anyone noticed a tendency to become more hypo in the cold season?

Last winter I was still in the throes of treament and wasn't on medication yet. This year I'm on Synthroid (following removal of my thyroid gland) and my symptoms are swinging toward the hypo side.

Strange, because my meds were keeping me slightly hyper in the Autumn. Then I began taking Maca and felt just about normal. Now my body thermostat seems to be keeping me cold, the fatigue is starting to return, and my hands are so dry that my fingers are peeling. I have not changed my Synthroid dosage.

Just curious if this is a typical pattern due to the stresses of the cold weather. Anyone notice the same?

Old 01-02-2002, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Winter and Hypo?

Since our bodies have to work harder to stay warm in the winter, it is not unusual for thyroid meds to need a slight adjustment. Some doctors recognize this and increase their patients' doses slightly between about October and March or so to compensate.

My most recent labs done a week before Christmas show my T4 has dropped from 1.4 (in a range of .8-1.8 done in September) to 1.1 even though I have increased my doseage since then. I am guessing that the change in weather has something to do with it, plus, I have become more active, which raises the needs, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2002, 03:41 PM   #3

Thanks, Meep. That's what I suspected. But my last Endo visit he did not draw blood, so I don't know if my levels fluctuated before the recent cold spell but I'm quite certain they've gone down now.

Think I'll call the doc and ask if I can increase my dose for a couple months.

Old 01-02-2002, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

blondegal HB User

Funny you are discussing this topic. I just recently commented to my husband that I ALWAYS feel better during summer months. I'm kind of slow - it's taken me several years to come to this conclusion but it's absolutely true! Now I see it in writing by other thyroid patients - thanks for pointing this out.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:59 PM   #5

SnowAngel HB User

Reading your comments has made me feel much better! I'm still new to all this, but in the past few weeks, I've noticed that my skin is getting dryer and dryer. My legs look like they could be attached to an alligator and my fingers are cracked and peeling. No amount of lotion seems to help. I thought it might just be from keeping our heat on all the time. These past few weeks have been much colder than winter usually is in Alabama. I didn't even think it might be associated with my thyroid. Just something else I've learned from reading the posts on this board! It's such an educational place to be!

Good health to all!
SnowAngel

Old 01-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #6

Funny, my Endo (of course) wanted to test my Free T4 and TSH before raising my dosage. Before I could go there, I had an appointment with my acupuncturist, who chastised me (nicely) for having stopped the Maca. I had stopped for about 3 weeks because I thought I should give my body a break so the herb would continue to work. Of course, then it got cold in NYC, and everything compounded.

Two days back on the Maca, and I already notice a difference. I'll get the blood tests anyway, but I'm going to wait until I'm on the Maca about a week, so I can get a good idea of how my levels are on the herb.

Adaptogens are so interesting. It's amazing to me that a plant can help you adjust both when you're hyper AND when you're hypo. I'm so happy that this stuff works so well for me.

Old 01-10-2002, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Thanks for posting that. The more I read about Maca, the more I like it.

Closed Thread