It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2001, 06:04 PM   #1

beebe624 HB User
what are the signs and symptoms of thyroid storm, does anyone know?

just a question- anyone know what are the signs and symptoms of throid storm? Back a few months ago the blood work showed that the thyroid was getting ready to
storm but I didn't feel any differently than I normally do. This is relatively new for me and I am on throxine but I want to know what I can do to stop it from going any further the next time.

Old 09-03-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

blondegal HB User
Re: what are the signs and symptoms of thyroid storm, does anyone know?

I noticed you didn't get a response to your question. I will say up front that I'm no authority but did a little investigating on Thyroid Storm. My source had this to say: (My source is: Medical Dignosis and Treatment by Lange)

Thyroid Storm is an extreme form of thyrotoxicosis that may occur with stressful illness, thyroid surgery, or radioactive iodine administration and is manifested by marked delirium, severe tachycardia, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and in some cases a high fever. (Thyrotoxicosis symptoms are described as nervousness, restlessness, heat intolerance, increased sweating, fatigue, weekness, and palpitations of the heart, to name a few.)

Maybe this will help some.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2001, 10:30 AM   #3

beebe624 HB User

thank you- that is what I was looking for- my test results are still not in and this is worrisome due to the previous test. I have been having some diarrhea
yesterday and the day before and after 3 doses of immoduium it finally ceased. Nerveousness I do have benign essential tremor so it is difficult to tell there. I have not had any delirum as of yet. this is something that I need to know to have it checked more often than it is being as the only thing that I did know is that thyroid storm can lead to coma and death.

Old 09-04-2001, 10:35 AM   #4

beebe624 HB User

forgot something- I have had low grade fever for at least 3 weeks now and heat intolerance and sweating is
me-I always have sweated more , fatigue I do feel more tired than before and the heart rate has gone up since
last months exam at the doctors. will keep you posted.

Old 09-06-2001, 09:46 AM   #5
Inactive

SEAGHOST33 HB User

Ah yes...the thyroid storm. I was perfectly fine one day(3 years ago) and the next I was in a thyroid storm. I was not under any type of stress or had any personal problems or issues. I was totally healthy and not on any medications at the time. Then boom! I developed a thyroid storm...I had no clue..I thought man I need to have a really good physical. So I scheduled one...well routine exams were not priority so I had an appointment 4 weeks away...when you live in the wilderness you really don't dwell on your health as there is just too much to do...if you hurt yourself you live with it and you get over it. Meanwhile, this is what I experienced during that 4 weeks: I was sweating like a pig at the least little exersion. I had to actually shave off most of my hair just to keep cool...and i live in the wilderness where you need to chop wood to stay warm and you have to do other really strenuous activites as a part of your normal daily living. My heart was racing so fast I thought it was going to jump right out of my chest. I could not sleep at night and developed the 'restless leg syndrome' and i could not get enough to eat! Day in and day out the symptoms stayed at the same intensity without relief...and finally after 4 weeks the doctors appt. He diagnosed me with in a second! Put me on the approp. medications and thus started my battle with the thyroid gods. You can live through a thyroid storm...not that I would recommend it to anyone. But that's my story and my husband has been stuggling ever since to keep up with each twist and turn of this silly disorder.

Old 09-09-2001, 03:33 PM   #6

beebe624 HB User

i still feel dripping wet with sweat even though now the level is within normal range. but i always have
been a sweater. I always said that I sweat like a man-
no offense men, but I am a lady. I didn't have the restless leg thing going but I could not sit still-
from since I could remember as a child- my attention
span seemed like a fly even though i did well in school. My heart only raced due to taking a potassium supplement with lisinopril- BIG MISTAKE TO DO,i found
out later this was a no-no. Since then it was ok until
the other day at a doctors appointment the PA noticed that my heart rate was up a little. This is when she found out that the thyroid level was good this time.
the only reason that I went on it to begin with is a
benign colloid cyst on my thyroid- the doctor who was
an endocrinologist said that thyroxine would/should shrink the cyst from 2.5cm. Well, a year later, the cyst was only 2.0 cm. And yes, I eat, sometimes until
I am too stuffed to eat anything else. I was 95-115 pounds when I met my husband 20 years ago and now I am
162 pounds and can't seem to lose it.

Closed Thread