It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
just wondering..

hi

just wondering.

anyone using wholistic medicine to cure thyroid problems? if so, has it helped? what he/she do for ya?

Old 05-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: just wondering..

Hi Andrea. I'm a big proponent of holistic medicine, and I've found it extremely helpful with my thyroid disease. After years of feeling ill, I had a diagnosis of thyroid cancer (three types of abnormal cells) plus Hashimoto's thyroiditis (antibodies) a couple of years ago. Had surgery in Nov 2000.

I see an Acupuncturist regularly who is also well-versed in Chinese & American herbs. I also see a Chiropractor/Homeopath on a less frequent basis.

My Acupuncturist was particularly helpful when I was hypo before and in the months following surgery. He was able to eliminate my fibromyalgia and has greatly improved my quality of life. He is now trying to balance/eliminate my sensitivities (to thyroid hormones among other things) using the NAET technique. [For more information about NAET, do a Google search. It was developed by Dr. Devi Nambudripad. There is also a book I'm told is good by David Hawkins, called "Power vs Force," but I've not yet read it.]

Along with adjustments (I have a back problem), my Chiropractor/Homeopath does a technique called Glandular Balancing that is a sort of laying-on of hands at the lymph gland areas. It's supposed to balance all hormones, and I've found it really helpful with evening my emotional state (PMS, rage, mood swings, depression, etc.).

I have posted a few things in the Information Archive thread as well. I used homeopathy before and after surgery with great success and healed amazingly fast. I also used homeopathy after my RAI (post-surgical Radioactive Iodine treatment) to flush the radiation out of my system.

Both practitioners give me nutritional guidance as well as advice about supplements. I still see my Endo and, of course, take my thyroid meds. But I find this supplemental care extremely helpful.

Anything specific you wanted to address?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User

thanks for your help. it sounds like youve been through alot.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:32 AM   #4

optimist HB User

ArtfulD-- I was interested to see that you were at one time suffering with Fibromyalgia. I feel that I have Chronic Fatigue that has precipated the problems with my thyroid. I am doing everything I can to improve the way I feel. Taking supplements, excellent diet, positive thinking and prayer. My most frustrating problem is difficulty walking and dizziness. Through your efforts have you been relieved of this symptom?
Thank you, Optimist.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:09 PM   #5

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Hi Optimist. My symptoms started with depression and migraine, but Chronic Fatigue soon followed. I played what I like to call "stump the doctor" for over 10 years before getting things resolved.

Acupuncture definitely got rid of my fibromyalgia -- no more leg pain, difficulty walking, or poor coordination. This is supported by being on the proper dose of thyroid meds (for me), and has not returned. I also take Maca, a Peruvian herb that seems to really help keep me balanced.

When I have flare-ups (carpal tunnel mostly, due to computer work), I use Arnica cream or gel and/or this relatively new product called "Super Blue Stuff" that has Arnica, MSM, Glucosamine, Capsicum and a bunch of herbs. I actually use their no-fragrance, no-dye goop called "Super Stuff" (since it's not blue). It's expensive, but I hate to say the Infomercial is right -- it really helps quickly.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:56 AM   #6

optimist HB User

ArtfulD--As always, thank you for your prompt reply.
I am just so tired of feeling lousy that I am hoping someone has a "cure". Yesterday, I had cranial therapy--very relaxing--the therapist noticed alot of muscle twitching and spasms that might indicate some
symptoms of FM. I do have pain in my back and neck--no other locations. As stated before, the dizziness and difficulty walking are the most disturbing symptoms.
No need to reply unless you want to!! Just needed to vent alittle.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi optimist,
I was DXed with FM, having ALL pressure points and all symptoms for years. I have read that a group of Rhuematologists got together to name a joint problem they could not understand. Many Endos say they named a problem that actually was not even in their field, since true FM symptoms does not include inflamed tissue like other Rhuematological diseases.

Like many people, I was just glad to have a name for my condition, until I realized the problem had no solution, and doctors were just guessing.
Using the internet, this forum, and many helpful internet folks, I finally found that all my symptoms also matched Thyroid imbalance. The rest of the story is in the thread link below.

Fibromyalgia simply means fiber (fibro) pain (myalgia).
FM is a symptom not a cause. We can't tell what causes your symptoms, but please keep looking for the cause and don't let any doctor stop at an FM diagnosis.

Did you read our stories? <A HREF="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000045.html</A>

Old 05-16-2002, 12:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

PS,
Muscle twitching and spasms also come from B complex vitamin and magnesium deficiencies.

Old 05-16-2002, 05:30 PM   #9

optimist HB User

Thank you Tree Frog for your input. I have read all the info on this board--the info has been terrific. I am presently on 60 mg of Armour. In addition I take many supplements to support my immune and hormonal systems. I take a B-complex, magnesium,
Maca, MGN3, Pro Boost, progesterone cream, olive leaf,
grape leaf, licorice--gosh, many more. I just want my
life back. I love my job, my husband and my former active lifestyle. Even though I have had CFIDS, FMS or thyroid disease, whatever it is finally determined my problem is, for at least 18-20 years, I was able to get by. My symptoms became intolerable after a
hysterectomy. I really appreciate your suggestion to not take the FM diagnosis as the final answer. I want a disease that is fixable. I have not given up on
getting an answer that restores my life back to normal.
Thank goodness for these boards--they keep me optimistic!!

Closed Thread