It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #1

Karima HB User
choky feeling...?

Hi,
It's been awhile since I have been here. I am 4 weeks into my Synthroid increase from 50 to 75mcg and am supposed to re-tested in February. I have Hashi's.

I have noticed this week a choky sensation in my throat, like something is in their and is making it feel constricted. Also there is an increase of saliva in my mouth which of course makes me need to swallow even more. I am not in pain but I am aware my throat in the lower front of my neck is full feeling. Also my lymph glands feel tender which is a chronic problem
and I don't know why. My labs from Dec. the CBC/diff, showed my lymphs at 12. the menu was 0-11. I am always just over the high. The doctors say it is nothing but now I am beginning to wonder. What is this reflecting from the lab report?

My doctor is away until Monday and I have to wait for his return.

Old 01-17-2002, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: choky feeling...?

Have you had an antibody test?

Hashi is an autoimmune illness.
Your thyroid may be inflamed. This happens with Hashi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2002, 01:52 PM   #3

Karima HB User

Hi,
No, I haven't had that done since the initial panel done in Oct. 99 and at that time the legend was 0-34 and it was 62. I have had many re-tests done for TSH, T3 and free T4 though. The last test done 12/17/01 was the TSH, T3 and freeT4. It revealed the TSH had increased in 6 months from 3.72-6.75, the free T4 went from 1.23-.99....
How would they treat the antibodies if they are increased? Why wouldn't 4 weeks on an increase have been sufficient to stop that to begin with?

Old 01-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #4

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User

Hi Karima. I've got Hashi's, too, although no thyroid gland any more. My Endo took antibody levels in the very beginning, but he believes that not only is it not treatable, but it doesn't go away so there's no point in re-testing.

I'm not too keen on declarations like that, so I've been seeing an acupuncturist who also helps me with nutrition and we're trying to keep things balanced. I'm certain there must be some way to treat autoimmune disorders.

The criticism of my Endo is a good example of the balancing act we have to do with our doctors. But along with the occasional pigheadness and his very quiet temperament, he's extremely knowledgleable. He's in his 80s, has a background in research, and everyone in the hospitals and labs say he knows everything about the thyroid. Plus he keeps winning "Top Doc in New York" awards. We've learned how to deal with each other's personality differences (I think my questions drive him nuts, but he doesn't respond to most of them) and he's a good guy, so I stay with him.

Re-reading your results, it looks like the increase was provided because, while your meds were stable, you became more hypothyroid in a six-month period. Have you had your next tests since the increase four weeks ago? Perhaps your doc will also be willing to check the antibody levels at that time (and palpate your neck to feel for any inflammation.)

With me, it takes 4-8 weeks for an increased dosage to stabilize. During that time I tend to swing from hypo to hyper (sometimes both together) in my symptoms. Hang in there.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 01-17-2002).]

Old 01-17-2002, 05:51 PM   #5

Karima HB User

Hi ArtfulD:
i called the covering doc today but he said to wait until my own returns on Monday. Swell! I am going to ask him to re-test me next week. By then it will be 5 weeks since the increase and it should something. So, what are you saying, it's useless to have the TPO for antibodies done? I mean if the top of the legend is say 32 and I come back at 64 or 300, it doesn't mean anything.
This is THE most confusing disease and I have had my share of all sorts of medical issues to contend with over the years. So the synthroid can control the levels of TSH, free T4 and T3 for the most part, but the antibodies are never in remission? I thought from the other reply that sometimes when the antibodies are kicking up, it will cause the thyroid area to feel sore. And no matter where I go to read about Hashimotos, it doesn't speak to the antibodies in any detail.

Old 01-17-2002, 07:28 PM   #6

Personally, I think it would be useful to re-check your antibody levels. But if your doc is anything like mine, there may be resistance to the idea.

The most common treatment for Hashi's by a physician is to prescribe thyroid replacement medicine. For those Hashi's patients who do not respond adequately to T4 medicine (synthroid, etc.), a combination of T3 (cytomel, etc.) and T4 is often found helpful. The meds will prevent or correct hypothyroidism, but do not necessarily treat or change the antibodies (which attack a thyroid-binding protein). Steroid therapy has been used to suppress the antibodies, but the patients in the study I read about all returned to high antibody levels after the steroids were discontinued. And the steroid side effects were unpleasant.

I believe that the antibody levels fluctuate, and that we feel better/worse accordingly (including swelling and inflammation). However, I can't find very much information about it so I have no technical backing for my beliefs. I am hoping to put my Hashi's into remission via healthy living and complementary medicine, but I haven't purchased a re-check test yet. (You can order blood and saliva tests -- including antibody levels -- from some commercial labs who do not require a doctor's referral.) If I am successful in lowering my antibodies, I wouldn't expect my physicians to believe that the change is explained by alternative medicine. But I'm hopeful.

Here are some useful links with more Hashi's info:
<A HREF="http://www.4woman.gov/faq/hashimoto.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.4woman.gov/faq/hashimoto.htm</A>
<A HREF="http://*****.lycos.com/content/asset/adam_disease_lymphadenoid_goiter" TARGET=_blank>http://*****.lycos.com/content/asset/adam_disease_lymphadenoid_goiter</A>
<A HREF="http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/560.html" TARGET=_blank>http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/560.html</A>
<A HREF="http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic47578" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic47578</A>

Old 01-17-2002, 08:12 PM   #7

Karima HB User

Hi,
Gee, thank you for all that good information, I mean already just knowing that you think that the antibodies fluctuate accordingly and we feel better or worse due to these fluctuations, clears my always cobwebby brain. I have no interest in using any meds to suppress an inflammation, steroids are something I don't want to mess with unless I am up against the wall.
I stopped using the soymilk and tofu several weeks ago now after being warned against it right here. Have use the rice milk alternative and the vanilla flavored is very nice. Living with thryoid meds and taking HRT makes me wonder about how the body handles all the hormones coming from outside sources...how are they absorbed and utilized into the system and everything kept in balance. It seems I know sooner get my estrogen levels where they need to be than the thyroid is off again or vice versa....

Old 01-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #8

It really is a delicate balance. I've found that Maca powder(a Peruvian turnip-like root) has been extremely helpful to me in balancing both my thyroid and female hormone levels. It's an adaptogen, so it helps level things whether they're too high or too low. I purchase mine through my acupuncturist (cheaper), but you can get it in health food stores or online. Powder is more cost-effective than capsules.

As for the rice milk, try it with a little cinnamon some time. It makes it resemble orchata, a Mexican drink I love (rice milk, sugar, cinnamon).

Closed Thread