It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2001, 03:02 PM   #1

updownthyroid HB User
hyper & hypo thyroid, What to do?

I like to talk to someone who has experince hyper and hpyo thyroid. It seems that my thyroid jumps from hyper to hypo when ever it feels like. 8 months I'll have hyper, then next 6 months I have hypo. Some days I feel okay, and some days I feel like ****. My vision seems to be blurry at times from the tyroid. I notice my thyroid is leaning more towards hypo than hyper, but still feel some days it's hyper. So confused? I was having pantic attacks at work, my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't write, heart pounding. I was having a hard time jogging, my legs felt like jello. My HMO doctor wanted to turn the hyper to hypo. I said "What are you crazy" I don't think hypo is healthly either. He told me at lease you won't have panic attacks. No but I'll gain massive weight. He didn't seem to care. I have no health insurance right now and I feel my thyroid is hypo right now. Can anyone help me with answers? When I excerise I take Hydroxy cut to help with my engery it helps.

Old 05-24-2001, 10:42 AM   #2

SusanM HB User
Re: hyper & hypo thyroid, What to do?

I had postpartem thyroiditis and was initially hyperthyroid with many symtptoms. I then went hypo and was put on thyroid replacement. I felt I was having side effects from the meds and after about six months I went off them against my doc's advice, but I had read that with postpartem thyroiditis you have to go off meds for 6 to 8 weeks to know if your thyroid will go back to normal. As of now mine is normal. I have antithyroid antibodies, and I have been told that my thyroid could go up or down at any time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2001, 08:24 PM   #3

judekate HB User

Hi
I was diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis at 10 weeks post partum. I read your reply. I am on 25mcg of levoxyl from 75mcg. You said that you went off your thyroid meds and it took 6 to 8 weeks to get off. I am thinking of stopping mine all together. I feel awful. Dizzy, exhausted, inability to fall asleep. I never had sleep problems before. This is a concern for me. I get one hour of sleep at night and I feel....obviously like a crack pot the next day. I AM NOT DEPRESSED!!! Very happy. I am thinking the sleep problems is from going from one extreme hyper to hypo and then on meds that I became slightly hyper again now I am tapering off. Please give me any advice about postpartum thyroiditis. I have the thyroid solution book and I look at about.thyroid.com website and I get infor there. I would like to talk to women who have had this particular disorder. should I have and insist on having my doctor check for the antibodies?? I see an endo. I see him on june 19. I dont know if I like him yet. Anyways any info would help. If my mssg sounds confusing it is because I dont know what to do or say. I dont trust doctors.

Old 05-28-2001, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi!
I understand distrust of doctors! They do not know everything and can miss some things. But understand this, that doctors usually undertreat thyroid problems, not overtreat it.

If you are in post partum symptoms, yes, do allow for a space of time for this to pass, and for your thyroid to rebalance.
But do follow up with tests to be sure your thyroid is functioning as YOU need.

If your thyroid is hyper, you will need treatment or you risk heart attack.
If your med is too much, you can risk the same thing.
Yet, too low thyroid is just as dangerous.

Find a doctor that will listen to your symptoms and learn what you need to know to understand which symptoms you may be having so you can report them...don't play around with this by yourself! TF

Closed Thread