It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 AM   #1

fibrobabe HB User
is anyone there? I need help now!!! I think I'm having an anxiety attack!!

I know its late. But I can't sleep. I took .25 xanax but it doesn't work. It makes me more tired and doesnt help my symptoms. I am shaky and nervous and hot. It gets worse when I get in bed and I am soo tired. I don't know what to do anymore. my mom says to talk myself out of it and when I try, it seems to get worse. i don't understand why this is happening and do know how much more I can take. i posted on the anxiety board but there seems to be no one on right now so I thought I would try here. Please help. I need to know that there is help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2002, 07:40 AM   #2

theewilliams HB User
Re: is anyone there? I need help now!!! I think I'm having an anxiety attack!!

I hope that you got some sleep, fibrobabe. Its a.m. now but for you in the future I thought I'd let you know what helps for me.....first I'll tell you...if it is anxiety...."know that IT WILL END"

Breathing deeply in through the nose and out through the mouth while thinking of the breathing only is something i learned and has always helped me. You can do this no matter where or when the attacks strike. When it cause sleeplessness I do it laying on my back with my eyes closed, listening and thinking only abot the breathing (I count too.)

Hope this helps you a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2002, 08:58 AM   #3

fibrobabe HB User

Thanks for replying. I think I recently read an entry by either you or someone else about breathing. Sorry to say, it didn't help. Nothing seems to help when it comes. It lasts all night and sometimes is still there when I wake up (if I can fall asleep). It seems to be getting worse.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:37 AM   #4
Inactive

darlene HB User

Fibrobabe, I just read your posting about your anxiety attack. I do hope you were able to work it through. Having one late at night or in the middle of the night is the worse kind, you feel so alone. I get them but ususally I can feel it coming on so I take .5 Alprazolam, my daughter who is 29 gets them worse than I do and I really feel for her and you because she can't seem to talk her self out of it either, neither can I. Have you ever tried Volarian Root? That use to help her but for some reason she quit taking it and now I can't remember why.

Good Luck,
Darlene

Old 01-15-2002, 09:03 AM   #5

2Hannah2 HB User

I've found the best thing to do is lie flat on your back, and practice slow deep breathing. Breathe in to the count of (up to) 8, breathe out to the count of (up to) 8. Follow your breath with your mind. Relax each part of your body beginning with your scalp, and name each part all the way down: forehead, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, lips, neck, shoulders etc. Take your time. Once all is relaxed, any time you begin to ramble in your head, go back to the breathing again.
Sometimes it helps to have quieting music on at the same time.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:01 PM   #6

fibrobabe HB User

Thanks Darlene and 2hannah2,
I took .25 xanax (maybe I should have taken the .5) I just had to stay up until I was so exhausted I couldn't keep my eyes open. I fell into bed (robe, glasses, and all) and fell asleep. Its just hard because I have small kids and then I am dragging the next day. I have tried the breathing, I start to relax at first, but then I think to myself "hey, this is working." then because my thoughts wander from the breathing, the attack gets worse!! Go figure (lol).
I took .25 xanax in the afternoon and again at night I felt better last night. But it never fails, the nights I do that to help me sleep right away, are the nights at least one the kids keeps waking me up.
Thanks for helping!

Old 01-15-2002, 10:02 PM   #7

2Hannah2 HB User

It looks like you made a good start, but because you started thinking again, you let it throw you and stopped. Someone once told me when I used to do that to just let the thought come like a ticker tape. Watch it pass. Let it come in one side and drift back out the other, then go back to counting your breaths, long one in, long one out to four times, then start again counting again, with long breaths in to the count of 8, long breaths out to the count of 8: breath #2, same. Everything takes practice.
I'm reading a wonderful book about this right now called: Practicing the Power of Now, and it has helped me so much it's life changing. And yet I've still had the odd slip up, but they are getting farther and longer between. You didn't get to this state of anxiety in one day and you won't get out of it in one day. Just don't take a little slip-up so seriously. When it happens, just pick up where you left off, and go back to your breathing again, relaxing and naming body parts: relax my chest, relax my arms, relax my ribs, relax my back, relax my stomach, relax my inner organs, and SAY "relax" each time, on and on: my lungs, my liver, my kidneys, my hips, my arms, my fingers, etc. Every part. And when you get to the end, feel every inch of the INSIDE of your skin. "Relax my skin." Feel yourself IN your body, Being. Let the energy flow all around inside there, from your feet slowly to your head and back down again.
Do this two or three times a day if necessary if you can take the time to be totally and quietly by yourself. Good luck. You'll get there. It just takes PRACTICE. But you have to love yourself enough to perservere.

[This message has been edited by 2Hannah2 (edited 01-15-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by 2Hannah2 (edited 01-15-2002).]

Old 01-16-2002, 07:48 AM   #8

fibrobabe HB User

2hannah2,
I concentrated on breathing last night and I fell asleep. Thank God!! Although I can't count up to 8. Someone else had said to count to 4 and I can barely do that. I feel like I will pass out. I just kept concentrating on breathing into my belly and not lungs. Thanks for the help. I truly appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:30 AM   #9

Karima HB User

Hi,
While I am a user of the deep breathing for working through higher levels of anxiety or at the beginning of an panic attack, sometimes when you are just so very overexhausted and your brain is running on full-tilt, trying to lay still and stay focused on the breathing is impossible. It just is. If you have reached that point and especially at nighttime when you cannot sleep, then take your meds for anxiety and try again another time.
I recommend practicing deep breathing several times a day throughout whether you are feeling anxious or not for 2 reasons. Just because you may not feel the symptoms of anxiety doesn't mean you are not having some at a lower level and the practicing a few minutes will keep it there or disappear entirely.
Also, by practicing the proper breathing from the diaphagm, when the time comes where you are AWARE of symptoms of your anxiety or even the start of a panic attack, your deep breathing will be easier to do and more quickly effective because you have been doing it everyday. In the beginning I just couldn't get the hang of it. When I would try and get the diaphragm inflated, it would be in short, choppy inhales instead of a smooth transition. So I took a book and placed it on my diaphagm so I could watch it rise and fall evenly. Also only nose breathe. Do not use your mouth, it will encourage hyperventilating. There is no reason to be normally breathing through your mouth unless you are sick with a cold, etc. Also did you know that if you are truly deep breathing, you cannot have a panic attack at the same time?
Good luck!

Closed Thread