It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2002, 10:49 AM   #1

Keico HB User
Follicular Adenoma

I had my surgery yesterday, the doctor removed the right lobe of my thyroid. The initial biopsy came back benign. My Dr. said it was a follicular adenoma, does anyone have any experience with this? I have read that follicular adenoma is often mistaken for follicular carcinoma, is this true? What are the chances that the final pathology will come back malignant?

Old 05-15-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Inactive

marsv63 HB User
Re: Follicular Adenoma

Hi,
I was wondering how you were doing , If you look down a bit in the messiages you will see one from me too you.. How are you feeling? I am happy too here your home.. About your question I really can't answer it so I think I will leave that too one of the wothers.. You are in my prayers... God Bless ,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2002, 08:43 PM   #3

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Re: Follicular Adenoma

Hi Keico. Glad to hear that it went well (and that you're already feeling well enough to post!!). From what I can find on the web, a follicular adenoma is a benign tumor, while a follicular carcinoma is malignant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Common types of the benign thyroid nodules are adenomas (overgrowths of "normal" thyroid tissue), thyroid cysts, and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The adenomas may be "microscopic" and resemble normal thyroid follicles, or they may be "gross" (larger, benign tumors). Benign adenomas sometimes include colloid tissue (similar to cysts on sonogram).

One website stated that "It is sometimes difficult to tell a well-differentiated follicular carcinoma from a follicular adenoma. Thus, patients with follicular neoplasms are treated with subtotal thyroidectomy just to be on the safe side."

And EndocrineWeb says that a lobectomy (removal of the thyroid lobe that had the nodule) is the typical treatment for follicular adenomas:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Thyroid Lobectomy.</B> This is typically the "smallest" operation performed on the thyroid gland. It is performed for solitary dominant nodules which are worrisome for cancer or those which are indeterminate following fine needle biopsy. Also appropriate for follicular adenomas, solitary hot or cold nodules, or goiters which are isolated to one lobe (not common). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it sounds like the surgery you had was appropriate for you.

I don't know how often a surgery with a seemingly benign diagnosis (under frozen section biopsy) later shows malignancy after total dissection, but it has happened to at least one person who frequents this Board. This follow-up diagnosis can occur because the frozen section is a quick view of a small piece of tissue. If there are relatively few malignant cells, or if the abnormal cells are in a section of tissue that was not examined during the frozen section, they may not be discovered until a more thorough analysis is complete. It is typically complete within two weeks after the surgery.

Hopefully, you are all done and can continue the healing process. And keep us informed with how you're doing.<p>[This message has been edited by ArtfulD (edited 05-15-2002).]

Closed Thread