It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2001, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

stprdi HB User
Hyper to Hypo

In July my TSH was 0.8 and in mid Sept. it was 10.0. Our norms are 0.1-6.0, thereabouts). I have been trying to get this under control for sometime. Been on Synthroid since 1994. Recently developed shortness of breath on exertion and a weird achy feeling in my left chest. ECG and pulmonary function tests show small abnormalities and nobody has given me any answers, yet. Does anyone know why the TSH fluctuates so much in a short time? The doc has no answer to this either.

Old 11-24-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: Hyper to Hypo

Hi and welcome, stprdi,

If your thyroid med was not raised, you may need a change, or may need to try a different med.

(This has not happened to me that I knew of)...some reasons for it, is a virus attacking the thyroid (such as sometimes they attack the ears, sinuses, throat, or digestive tract, etc). Another reason is autoimmune disorder, the body attacking itself.

Did you get an antibody test?

If not, you can request that the doc discover WHY your thyroid hormones are unbalanced, and going up and down, and ask for the antibody test, which will reveal autoimmune disorder.

Sorry I have nothing more definitive to answer. TF

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2001, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

stprdi HB User

My TSH went from 0.8 to 10.0 in a matter of 2 months. It was usually situated around 4.5-6.0 till we changed doses. My doc does not think it's Hashimotos or anything. Why I don't know. I've asked for anitbodies but he doesn't believe in anything more than TSH. I even asked for free T3 etc. Seems odd to me. It just shouldn't bounce around unless something is wrong. Right now I'm hoping the breathing, weird heart feeelings are due to going hyper again. Although pulmonary function tests say alveolar abnormality. Could thyroid prob. affect outcome of some of these tests???

Old 11-24-2001, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User

Hi stprdi,
Thyroid disorders can't be DXed simply by guessing.
I think it inappropriate that you are on Synthroid and your TSH is fluctuating that much, but your doc won't order an antibody test.

Yes, thyroid can affect the heart, and therefore the heart tests. If you are hyper it may make your heart overwork. If hypo, it can make it work hard too.

It seems like time to call your HMO, get a new doc, or another opinion outside that medical group!!!

<p>[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 11-24-2001).]

Closed Thread