It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2002, 03:05 PM   #1

birdman HB User
Going to doc, results of test with no T3 number

latest results, TSH 1.46, ST4 1.4. Both "normal".
I have had lethargy for some time and since sibling had cancer and removal was using some of his help to determine what the problem was. I am on 50ug a day and did increase the dose for a while. The TSH went to .02 or some low number.
I am now back in the lethargic zone and get short of breath (new levels above) easy with exertion and gained weight back that was lost while on a higher dose.
My sibling is on a Cytomel T3 adder and exhibited increased energy and improved overall wellbeing.

With normal numbers, can T3 be a problem indicator?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Going to doc, results of test with no T3 number

About your tests... If you can provide the lab's reference range with the test results, it will help with interpretation. Depending on the lab, you may be at the low end or the high end of normal, or you could be right in the middle. it is a VERY broad range, usually. Additionally, while your numbers my be "normal" they may not be optimal for you.

Yes, T3 being low while T4 is normal can be a indicative of a problem. Most doctors don't feel that it is necessary to check T3, though. Supposedly, T4 converts to T3 in your body as needed, but for many (myself included) this does not happen as well as the doctors have been taught to believe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

More quetions:

Could your ST4 (not familiar with this) result actually be an FT4 (Free T4)? If you got the results over the phone, it would be common to get "s" and "F" confused.

When you increased your dose for a while, how much was it increased? Too much of an increase can cause problems. Making a tiny change or taking a dose between what you were taking and what you are now taking might be your answer if T3 isn't.

Old 05-28-2002, 03:26 PM   #4

birdman HB User

Thanks for the questions, I was not sure on the information. I will get hardcopy today.
From what I gather the range is .4-4.5 for the T4.
I am not sure what the ST4 was regarding. Secretary reading my results over the phone as you guessed.

I just think this game has been controlled to laise faire by this doc and he is old school. If the T4 is right then you are good to go.

thx
birdman

Old 05-28-2002, 07:45 PM   #5

birdman HB User

Well according to the range of .4-4.5 the doc considers the 1.46 TSH to be "perfect".
The T4 was the Free T4 value.

I asked about T3 and the doc says, " to get such a good number on TSH, you assume that T3 is OK also, that is why I have no need to check it. Your pituitary gland gets its signals from the TSH and you are perfect"

Looking at my levels prior to any goiter or cancer scare they did have a T3 of 88 on a 60-220 range. it has not been checked since.

I need to read more but from what I understand, my TSH could be perfect and all that but if the T4 is not being converted to T3, the TSH and T4 numbers can look perfect but my system is not getting the T3 it needs to really work right.
Doc suggests i see PCP to discuss my lack of energy.

Thanks for your input.

birdman

Old 05-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #6

theewilliams HB User

Just in regard to your t4 not converting. I thought you might like to know that after a ten year fight I found an endo that was willing to add the t3 for me. We lowered the dose of t4 (so as not to go hyper) and added the t3. I haven't felt so great in alot of years!

Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 AM   #7

birdman HB User

That is what is worrying me. I was put on replacement. This effectively shuts down the thyroid. Well it produces some T3 to begin with. Why is it not also replaced?
I have lab orders for another TSH and Free T4 in six months, i am tempted to add a couple of tests and do it now to get some results that may indicate the real issues.
There are many tests though, i can see how choosing them wisely would be of value.

<p>[This message has been edited by birdman (edited 05-29-2002).]

Closed Thread