It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2002, 12:18 AM   #1
(female)

momidawn HB User
Help Please - Confused about test results!

Hello,
Sorry if this post is long, but I just got a copy of my test results so I could do some research. Well, now I'm a bit confused :-)

Here's my story:
I was originally told that my results were normal, but since I continued to have such overwhelming symptoms, my doc decided to try me on Armour Thyroid. Well, it helped, and I began feeling better! Now, I'm concerned looking at some these numbers.

Original results 6/25/01:
Thyroglobulin Antibodies <2 (lab range <2)
Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies <2 (lab range <2)
T-4 (THYROXINE), FREE 1.1 (LAB RANGE 0.8-1.8)
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 2.80 (LAB RANGE: 0.40-5.50)
TRIIODOTHYRONINE, FREE 330 (LAB RANGE: 230-420)

I started 60mg Armour on 11/7/01 for one week, then switched to 120mg after that. (my current dose)

Test results 12/4/01:
T-4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL 9.1 (LAB RANGE 4.5-12.5)
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 0.03 L(LAB RANGE 0.40-5.50)
TRIIODOTHYRONINE, FREE 405 (LAB RANGE 230-420)

Now, here are my concerns/confusion:

1) My TSH went from 2.80 to 0.03, which shows to be out of range, per the results range. The dr. did not even mention this to me. Wouldn't 0.03 be hyper, and is that a drastic change in one month?

2) My T-4 went from a 1.1 to a 9.1, which also seems drastic to me. What does that mean? Also, the results show T-4, Free on the original tests, but T-4, Total on the second tests. Are those two different tests?

3) Is Triiodothyronine the same as T-3? If so, isn't this 330 and 405 high? and what does this mean?

4) What are the Antibodies tests for? what do they mean?

Thanks so much for any help!

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Help Please - Confused about test results!

Hi, Dawn. It sounds like you have a good doc who cares more about how you feel than the test results. I'll see if I can make some of this make sense for you. Here goes:

1) My TSH went from 2.80 to 0.03, which shows to be out of range, per the results range. The dr. did not even mention this to me. Wouldn't 0.03 be hyper, and is that a drastic change in one month?

<B>Even though your TSH is out of range, since your T3 and T4 are within range you are not hyper. TSH is not an accurate indicator of whether you are hyper or not in many cases, which is why the T3 and T4 tests are important. T3 and T4 are the actual hormones that are in question here.</B>

2) My T-4 went from a 1.1 to a 9.1, which also seems drastic to me. What does that mean? Also, the results show T-4, Free on the original tests, but T-4, Total on the second tests. Are those two different tests?

<B>Those are two different tests and the ranges are very different. The point within the range where your test results fall are more important than the numbers themselves. On the original test, you were in the bottom half of the range, and many people still have symptoms at that point. On the later test, you were above the middle of the range slightly, which puts you in an area wher most likely, your symptoms would be slowly resolving.

I prefer the Free T4 test like you had the first time over the Total T4 test, though it is a littel more expensive. The Total T4 test can be inaccurate if have excess binding going on due to estrogen or other external things like eating soy. The Free T4 test does not have this problem.</B>

3) Is Triiodothyronine the same as T-3? If so, isn't this 330 and 405 high? and what does this mean?

<B>You are right. Triiodothyronine is T3. Both times you were above the middle of the range, indicating that T3 was not really your problem before, but now it is higher in the range. I like mine to be at about 70% or so in the range or about halfway between your older and newer test, just to be safe, but your numbers were good both times.</B>

4) What are the Antibodies tests for? what do they mean?

<B>The Antibodies tests are to rule out Hashimoto's and Graves. You tested negative on antibodies for both, so it appears that you are hypo for other reasons, or your antibodies are in remission.</B>

What would I do with test results like yours? My recent tests were similar to yours due to changes in my life. (My Free T4 was 1.1, Free T3 was 5 points below the top of the scale. My TSH has been below .01 for a long time) I asked my doc to slightly lower my Armour so my T3 would drop a little, and added in a bit more synthetic T4 to bring my Free T4 up some in it's range. (I was already on a little Unithroid for this purpose, but it was not enough.)

Meep
meep70@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2002, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

momidawn HB User
Re: Help Please - Confused about test results!

Thanks, Meep! That explains alot! I feel much better now! I'm going to ask about your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Dawn<p>[This message has been edited by momidawn (edited 01-19-2002).]

Closed Thread