It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
(male)

vad HB User
Lumpy Thyroid

Hi everybody.

I just recently had an ultrasound done due to having a bit of tightness in my throat. All the ultrasound found was two nodules, 9mm x 7mm nodule on right lobe and a 8mm x 8mm nodule on the left lobe. The report described them both as hypoechoic, but did not say any other details about the margins (ill or well defined) or anything else. The lobes were apparently normal at 5.1 x 1.4 x 1.1 cm and the other at 5.1 x 1.1 x 0.6 cm. The texture around the nodules was homogenous in appearance. The radiologist made no recommendations on the report, it was quite basic. She did not write whether the nodules were solid or not, but she said they have the appearance of an adenoma, so think that means they were solid in appearance. The only other mention of the report was a 4mm cystic area with bright margins, but this is small and I think cysts are normal.

I just have a few questions:

1. Would this be the characteristics of a mulitnodular goiter or does the report have to say enlarged thyroid?

2. I'm just curious if nodules mean I should see an endocrinologist to have it checked our, or are nodules common and everybody would have this. I'm just not sure if my thyroid is healthy or not as the radiologist made no recommendation either way.

Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Lumpy Thyroid

Nodules are pretty common, most people who have them don't even know it. The condition you've described is a "multinodular goiter"---a lumpy bumpy thyroid, possibly slightly enlarged (you don't know if yours has grown unless you have previous ultrasounds to go against).

When there is a dominant nodule---one larger than the others, that's when it's slightly more likely to be cancer, as opposed to less likely.

You should see an ENT and/or a endo. and decide what your next step is---should you wait and watch (if so how frequently) or should you have an FNA--since they are pushing close to the 1cm mark? These are things you should discuss with a good doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
(male)

vad HB User

Thanks Reece. I just wasn't sure if it was a multinodular goiter or not, due to the radiologist saying 5cm is normal sized.

I do know I had an ultrasound 6 months ago for my neck, which also got thyroid measurements because they were in the area. My thyroid was:

Right: 5.1 x 1.7 x 1.5
Left: 3.6 x 1.4 x 1.0

With no nodules, but the echotexture was slightly coarse. Now my echotexture of the thyroid is normal, but have nodules.

Either way, I will try and see my Endo as soon as I can. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
(female)

gardiner HB User

I had a multinodule goiter on my right lobe. In my opinion, it does not sound similar. Not everyone has nodules and it would be a good idea to see an endocrinologist.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Hi... just wanted to let you know I was just diagnosed with Hoshimotos (was hypo for many years)... had an u/s and it showed a "lumpy thyroid" even my Eno described it as such and showed me a picture and yep it looked pretty lumpy. I even said YUK that is inside me.... LOL. My suggestion is go see an endo and get all the thryoid testing done ESPECIALLY YOUR THYROID ANTIBODIES for Hoshimotos ~ just to get it ruled out! Good Luck with all this confusing thyroid journey!

Last edited by Swtkoolaid; 11-19-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Closed Thread