It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
(male)

Sonickid23 HB User
Hyperthydoidism? Please, help.

Okay, I'll try and make this as brief as possible.
I'm 31/Male. Healthy, exercise 5 days a week. Don't smoke.

3 years ago, at work, I had what was diagnosed as a panic attack (immediate sense of adrenaline, rush of blood to head, impending doom, rapid pulse, hard heart beats, complete disconnect from reality). Immediately went to GP who said my BP was 170/? and prescribed me Xanax and a BP med (don't recall).
I had depersonalization/realization for a few months. Was sent to a neurologist (who seemed like a complete joke) who told me I had some sort of temporal epilepsy which both me and my GP thought was completely wrong.

So we thought maybe I had anxiety disorder and stayed on the Xanax. However, over the course of maybe a year I kept coming in for palpitations and irregular heartbeats. Every time I would go see the Dr. my BP was a elevated (usually 140/80) and the heart beats would disappear before I got there. She assured me it was nothing more than anxiety. After a couple more visits, she took me off the Xanax and put me on BP med (Lisinopril). For a while, I felt great...no more palps, semi-reg BP. She referred me to a cardiologist who since has done every test in the book (EKG, ECG, stress echo, holter moniter (2 week and 24 hour), BP monitor, blood work up the wazoo, urinalisis, chest x-rays, cat scans of both my head and adrenal glands).

Last year, when I was in California, I had the palps and went to the dr. I was in atrial fibrillation and was sent to the ER 2 days in a row. Was cardio converted and told to start taking Rythmol and continue on the BP meds.

Everything has been pretty much ok since, until about a month ago. Everything started coming back Irregular Heartbeat (PAC's but no AFib, thank God), awful sleep, hard heartbeats, fluctuating BP.

OK, getting to the point here.

Went to the cardiologist who did some blood work for my thyroid after I told her both my mother and grandmother were diagnosed and treated for HYPOthyroidism. Test came back that my Thyroxin levels were slightly elevated (I think she said the max norm was 10 and I was at like an 11.5). She said she didn't think that was what was causing all the problems but that she wanted me to get retested in a month being that it can fluctuate.

This got me thinking about my symptoms and a Dr. visit I had about 6 years ago where I had blood work done and the Dr. called to tell me that something was maybe wrong with my thyroid and that we would need to retest. Which we did, and everything turned out fine.

I am so frustrated by the lack of answers. Every doctor tells me that "hey, that's life, you have high BP and afib (even though they tell me that there is less than a 1% chance someone my age could even develop afib!)

Currently, I'm on Lisinopril 40mg once a day, Propafenone (Rythmol) 225 mg, 2x a day, and a baby aspirin once a day.

I fit a lot of the symptoms of Hyperthydoisim:
Weight loss (can't gain weight to save my life)
Frequent bowel movements
Heat intolerance
Nervousness, Restlessness
Hair Loss
Tremoring Hands
HBP
Pounding heartbeats + Irregular heartbeats
Skin flushing
Difficulty sleeping

Is it possible I could have inherited HYPERthyroidism from my family's HYPOthyroidism??

Thanks for any advice.
Best,
Josh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

Irisheyez82 HB User
Re: Hyperthydoidism? Please, help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonickid23 View Post
Went to the cardiologist who did some blood work for my thyroid after I told her both my mother and grandmother were diagnosed and treated for HYPOthyroidism. Test came back that my Thyroxin levels were slightly elevated (I think she said the max norm was 10 and I was at like an 11.5). She said she didn't think that was what was causing all the problems but that she wanted me to get retested in a month being that it can fluctuate.

I fit a lot of the symptoms of Hyperthydoisim:
Weight loss (can't gain weight to save my life)
Frequent bowel movements
Heat intolerance
Nervousness, Restlessness
Hair Loss
Tremoring Hands
HBP
Pounding heartbeats + Irregular heartbeats
Skin flushing
Difficulty sleeping

Is it possible I could have inherited HYPERthyroidism from my family's HYPOthyroidism??

Thanks for any advice.
Best,
Josh
All those symptoms sound hyperthyroid to me. I am hyper but I had a lot of opposite symptoms.
Did she only test Thyroxine? That is the T4 horomone, while still important she needs to test TSH and T3 also. Plus the range she mentioned for the T4 sounds like she tested the total T4. Alot of doctors say the FREE T3 and T4 are more accurate. The thyroid isn't something to mess with. If there is something even slightly off.....demand treatment, if they refuse find another doctor. I went 3 years with hyperthyroidism before I got it diagnosed and treated. I really believe had I have gone much longer I may have gotten put in the hospital with a major infection or maybe even developed thyroid storm and died.
If any thyroid issues run in the family you need to take anything related in to consideration. My fam history involved goiter, thryoid cancer, and Graves disease (a cousin) and I just found out I have Graves and not just hyperthyroidism. Graves is the auto-immune disease of hyper. Hashimoto is the auto-immune of Hypo.
Hope I helped a bit =-) Good luck.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hyperthydoidism? Please, help.

Keep in mind that a cardiologist doesn't necessarily know too much about thyroid. She didn't even run the right tests.

Get your primary or an endocrinologist to run TSH, free thyroxine (FT4), free T3, and TSI antibodies tests. No fewer than those. You need them all to know if your thyroid is producing too much hormone.

Closed Thread