It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
(female)

NerdQween HB User
Question Another "could this me a thyroid thing?" post, sorry.

Hello board!

So here is my situation and before I go back to my doctor and ask to be tested for things I am wondering if this sounds like I might be on the right track.

I am 25. I am overweight and have been ever since puberty. Besides a severe milk allergy as a kid I was always healthy. Around puberty I started getting migraines and joint/muscle pain and in my mid teens started having really horrible periods. They were heavy and painful and led me to get on BC around 19.
I have been on BC since then with a year long break the next year.

Here is where things get interesting. 3 years ago things in my body started getting out of whack.
I started gaining more weight, I developed cystic acne which lasted a little over a year and then disappeared again.
I am ALWAYS tired. No matter how much I sleep. For a while I attributed this to the fact that I had moved in with my now husband and I was getting used to sharing the bed. But growing up I always shared a bed with my sister and it never bothered me.
Also everything wears me out. The dishes leave me feeling like I need to lie down. I get over heated and exhausted. My husband laughs at me for doing house work in my bra and panties but if I wear normal clothes I feel like I am gonna pass out and will start dripping sweat.

The joint/muscle pains began getting worse and more frequent. I will have deep pains in my arms and legs that shoot up and down.
I started having gastrointestinal issues. I don't eat beef or pork and very little sweet, fatty foods. Without any change in my diet I began having issues with gas and bowel movements.

Some silly but possibly relevant issues are my finger nails and hair. My nails are brittle and peal and chip. I used to have hard, strong, long nails as a kid and by the time I was twenty that had become pathetic. My hair used to be wavy/curly and within the last three years began growing in straight. The change was such a shock I ended up perming my hair just so I would look like myself again.

In the last two years I have started getting more frequent head aches as well. In addition to my migraines which are now a couple times a month, I have near daily mild pain in my head.
I have been having muscle twitching in my eyes and fingers. My right eye twitched non-stop from mid july until the end of august this year.
Also my eye lids have turned a yellowish brown color. I have strange patches of dark skin under my arms and on my neck.

I have been having issues with anxiety and depression which I again attributed to outside stresses. My life has been calm and happy for over a year and yet the anxiety is just as bad.
I have trouble focusing and will sometimes spend hours making lists in order to remember what I need to do. I have also had less interest in sex over the years. This is strange for me and makes me feel unhappy and worried. It is not that I don't care about sex, I just can't get interested sometimes.

For a year now I have had a strange ache in my lower right abdomen off and on. The ache will last for a few months then go away for a few weeks and then come back.

The most recent issues are what has finally brought me here.
This month I missed my period. As of right now I am a week and a half late. I took a preg test and went to my gyno. They did in internal ultrasound and said I "didn't look pregnant" and that I had no cyst [he suspected pcos] and so it must just be that I had been on BC too many years and my uterus lining was too thin. [this makes no sense because less than a year ago I tried to get on seasonique and had a month long period. I was told at that point that my uterine lining was too THICK due to my high estrogen levels/weight and I needed to shed it each month]

Another thing I did before taking the pregnancy test was take my temp. I knew higher temps can be a sign of pregnancy. To my surprise it was low. I think it was 97.8 the first time I took it.

After the gyno appointment I was left feeling totally unsatisfied with his flippant answer to my lack of period so I started popping my symptoms into web-md and it spit back thyroid disorders at me. I read that a low temp is sometimes a sign of thyroid issues so I took my temp again.
Today is it 97.7.
Both of these temps were mid day and I think first thing in the morning would be a more accurate number.

So this is my question, does that sound like a whole lot of unconnected issues? or is it at all familiar.

Oh also! My mother has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and suffers from some of the same issues.

Last edited by NerdQween; 11-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User
Re: Another "could this me a thyroid thing?" post, sorry.

I'm defintely no thyroid expert or a doctor, but you have some classic symptoms, but they also sound very hormonal and Fibro as well. Its best to just get everything checked out to rule out or in anything that may be off.... it seems like all three of these connect in some mysterious way. I am hypo thyroid and have hoshimotos, I'm also hormonal (early meno due to chemo). So half the time I do not know which one is rearing its ugly head. I hope you find some answers and I'm sorry that you are feeling awful to say the least..... but see an endo doc, probably the best bet when dealing with thyroid issues. Good Luck and I wish you good health.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

Douglaston HB User

Hello, I have Sarcoidosis and do a lot of research due to various symptoms I experience. Read up on Myasthenia Gravis (ties in w/the thyriod). A lot of the symptoms you're having are characteristic in autoimmune disorders. Hoping the doctor(s) can provide some answers Try to keep a prositive attitude, this is out of your control. Take care.

Last edited by Douglaston; 11-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
(female)

TraceC HB User

These symptoms are classic to auto amune disorders. I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and celiac disease both auto amune and had alot of the symptoms you are suggesting. Have a look up on celiac disease. Also a ultra sound will sometimes not show cysts well mine didnt but the ultra sound did show up larger then normal overies which is another sign of PCOS. Maybe get a second opinion from another gyno if he wont look at your symptoms seriously. I wish you all the best for finding out whats wrong and hope it is nothing serious

Closed Thread