It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
Should you take your medication before blood work

I still kind of confused if you should take your meds before lab work or not.
If you don't doesn't it show your labs to be lower than they really are.
If you take your medication wouldn't this be more accurate and show how high your levels are while you are on meds ?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Should you take your medication before blood work

Your body doesn't make immediate use the med you took up to 6 hours before the blood draw. At that time, there will be extra T4 (and T3, if you take a T3 med) "floating" around "loose" in your bloodstream. That in no way reflects the degree of hypo or hyper you are, because it doesn't show what's going on at the cellular level. That's why it's inaccurate to test that artificially spiked level. People have had their doses unwarrantedly reduced based on the artificially high blood level that follows taking their meds.

If your MD tests only your TSH, take your med when you want; it won't matter.
If he tests your FT4, do not take your levothyroxine or Armour (or other desiccated) before the draw.
If he tests FT3 and if you take Armour (or other desiccated) or Cytomel, don't take it before the draw.

Last edited by midwest1; 12-16-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

Thank you Midwest,
I took my meds 2 hours before my last lab work and my FT3 came back at 4.1 ( 2-4.4)
last time i took it 6 hours after taking meds and it was a lot lower.
I don't feel hyper I think I messed up taking my Armour so close to the lab test.
Should I retake my test to get accurate levels ? I can order my own test and see what my FT3 looks like before taking meds be interesting to see how much lower it would be.
So you adjust your meds based on labs taking first thing in the morning without meds.
Thanks for the important information.

Last edited by mauz; 12-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Unless your doctor wants to decrease your dose, I wouldn't bother getting re-tested. If he does want to, you might have to prove to him with paper test results that you don't need to.

Since you don't feel hyper, I wouldn't consider changing the dose, either. Just figure that the likeliest reason for the high FT3 is that you took the med shortly before the test. And don't do that again...

Closed Thread