It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

khurst21 HB User
Synthroid & Protien Shake at 4:30 am

So I know when you take Syntrhoid you are suppose to wait to eat anything. Here is my situation. I get up 3 days a week at 4:30 am to workout and I can't exercise on a empty stomach. I take my synthroid first thing at 4:30 and then go straight into the kitchen to have a protein shake - just consists of Egg White Protein Powder, unsweetened almond milk and water then exercise until 5:30, then take my post workout shake and eat breakfast at 7 am.

Do you think having this shake so close to when I took my medicine is causing problems?

I have can't seem to lose any weight, I have about 15 pds. to lose. I eat clean, meaning no processed food, stay within a healthy caloric range and exercise 4 times a week with weights and intervals for cardio training.

I am a dream for any nutritionist but yet nothing budges and wondering if it is because I am messing up the medicine these 4 days a week.

Karen

Old 01-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Synthroid & Protien Shake at 4:30 am

Yes, it could be causing trouble.
IF you used that method every single day of the week, and IF your doctor wouldn't mind prescribing as much hormone as you need to optimize your levels, then it might be okay to do. But since you are, in effect, getting a smaller dose on the days you have a shake vs. the days you don't, and since most MDs almost never prescribe a greater-than-average dose of T4 (even when people need more), it's probably a bad idea.

You'd be better off taking the Synthroid at bedtime, if your stomach is mostly empty at that point. There is even some mounting evidence that it's better to take it at night, anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
khurst21 (01-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User

Khurst--I too was going to recommend the bedtime taking of your med...then I saw that Midwest had already done so.
There is research that shows that there is greater absorption of thyroid med in the night when our systems are running slower than daytime. Also there is supposed to be better t4 to t3 conversion If you start taking your meds at bedtime then you should re-test in 4-6 wks as they found the meds to be significantly more effective. So, your dose may then need to be lowered a bit if you have results as they did in the research. Though the study I read was pretty small.
Azuree

The Following User Says Thank You to azuree For This Useful Post:
khurst21 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

khurst21 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. I go back to see my Dr. in mid February so I will start the change immediately and then talk with him about it at that time. I am also going to bring the labels of the protein powders I take to ensure they are not interfering with my medication. I usually take my birth control at night - should I move this to the morning now or does it matter if they are taken at the same time?

That would also help on the weekends since I am usually hungry when I first wake up and have to force myself to wait.

One more question about milk- I mostly use almond milk but like regular (skim) milk in my coffee - it probably equals to 1/3-1/2 cup per day - will that amount cause interference with my Thyroid?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User

I don't know about taking your b.c. and thyroid med together. That may be an issue.

I have ended up taking my thyroid med (t4) in the middle of the night when I invariably wake up.

About your drink in the a.m. with calcium...While I have even read that some people say separate calcium from thyroid meds by 12 hrs., that has not been feasible for me.

Like you, I want a morning drink that has calcium in it. I love my morning fruit smoothie that I make with yogurt and whey protein. I am going to have my morning drink because it makes me feel good. So...as it is something I do everyday at roughly the same time, and my thyroid meds are taken roughly at the same time. Over time it works out because your dose gets adjusted to your habits as the labs will guide the dosing. What is really hard with thyroid meds is when your habits vary greatly. But if the habit stays the same--then I think things should work out.

For example, I knew a person who always took her thyroid med on awakening, then right to breakfast. It is not what we have been advised to do...but, if you always do something in the same way then as you get labs and your dose gets adjusted to your habits then you should be adequately treated.

Closed Thread