It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

khurst21 HB User
Question Life after radioactive iodine?

Okay - so even though I have this done about 5 years ago - I feel like I am just learning what it all means now - pretty sad that my doctors haven't educated me better.

I originally had Grave's then had RAI - not have Hypo. and take Synthroid daily.

Does this mean I should follow the information that I see posted about foods to avoid if you have Thyroid issues - like soy and certain vegetables or is this more for people that still have a functioning Thyroid but taking medication to help level the one they have?

Does that make sense?

Also - what about calcium? This is confusing me - can I have any calcium - like yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese and just avoid milk or avoid it all?

Should I be following information about how to eat if you have Thyroid disease?

I really just need all the information that I can get.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Life after radioactive iodine?

Take your calcium and don't avoid milk. You need it for bone health. Just be sure to separate calcium pills from your Synthroid by about 4 hours. Dietary calcium should be okay an hour after the Synthroid. The reason for the caution is that calcium binds up the thyroid hormone in the digestive tract and renders it unabsorbable. You don't have to avoid it completely.

Eat a balanced, healthy diet that includes all kinds of vegetables. I personally believe soy protein food is a con job perpetrated on the American public that may do more harm than good, but if you enjoy it, go for it. All things in moderation. Limiting thyroid-unfriendly foods is valuable to an untreated hypothyroid person, but the point of replacing thyroid hormone is to restore normalcy to a body. For someone whose hormone is being optimally replaced, there don't have to be any dietary limitations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
(male)

mickey81 HB Usermickey81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Take your calcium and don't avoid milk. You need it for bone health. Just be sure to separate calcium pills from your Synthroid by about 4 hours. Dietary calcium should be okay an hour after the Synthroid. The reason for the caution is that calcium binds up the thyroid hormone in the digestive tract and renders it unabsorbable. You don't have to avoid it completely.

Eat a balanced, healthy diet that includes all kinds of vegetables. I personally believe soy protein food is a con job perpetrated on the American public that may do more harm than good, but if you enjoy it, go for it. All things in moderation. Limiting thyroid-unfriendly foods is valuable to an untreated hypothyroid person, but the point of replacing thyroid hormone is to restore normalcy to a body. For someone whose hormone is being optimally replaced, there don't have to be any dietary limitations.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
(male)

Like you said, you had it 5 years ago. You are normal now. Enjoy what ever you like in moderation. Good Luck.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurst21 View Post
Okay - so even though I have this done about 5 years ago - I feel like I am just learning what it all means now - pretty sad that my doctors haven't educated me better.

I originally had Grave's then had RAI - not have Hypo. and take Synthroid daily.

Does this mean I should follow the information that I see posted about foods to avoid if you have Thyroid issues - like soy and certain vegetables or is this more for people that still have a functioning Thyroid but taking medication to help level the one they have?

Does that make sense?

Also - what about calcium? This is confusing me - can I have any calcium - like yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese and just avoid milk or avoid it all?

Should I be following information about how to eat if you have Thyroid disease?

I really just need all the information that I can get.

Thanks.

Hi, I took RAI 7 years ago. Yes the soy is a bad thing for us and will suppress thyroid function.

I discovered here recently that after taking my Centrum Silver vitamin mineral tablet everyday, that am needing less thyroid replacement. Don't know if it is the iodine or what that is doing it, but do feel better. I am 57 years old and need to stay as healthy as can be.

The other things I take are Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and sublingual B12, and drink quite a bit of lowfat milk for the calcium because calcium supplements tend to bind me up for a week or so.LOL

I will continue taking the Centrum to be able to take less thyroid medicine.

The best to you.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50 View Post
Hi, I took RAI 7 years ago. Yes the soy is a bad thing for us and will suppress thyroid function.

I discovered here recently that after taking my Centrum Silver vitamin mineral tablet everyday, that am needing less thyroid replacement. Don't know if it is the iodine or what that is doing it, but do feel better. I am 57 years old and need to stay as healthy as can be.

The other things I take are Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and sublingual B12, and drink quite a bit of lowfat milk for the calcium because calcium supplements tend to bind me up for a week or so.LOL

I will continue taking the Centrum to be able to take less thyroid medicine.

The best to you.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
(male)

Have you had a blood test to see if you need less Synthroid. I doubt seriously
that Centrum would have any effect on your Thyroid. I also doubt that any vitamins would have any effect. They make make you feel better, but don*t effect your thyroid. Had graves over 20 years ago. Nothing effects my levels,
except the dosage of meds I get.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Well we are all different now aren't we?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
(male)

Adding more Iodine in your system would raise your t-4 levels, not lower them. The lower the level the better you feel. Higher your t-4 the worse you will feel. Iodine would
raise your t-4.

Closed Thread