It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
(female)

mmandar HB User
Hi all, my results after I flipped to hyper from hypo...

Hi all. I have been to these boards before but a long time ago and I had to re-register.

Anyways, I have a history of hypo for 2 years now. My doc has only ever tested me for TSH - that's the norm I hear - them not wanting to test others. It was at 9 when they put me on Levothyroxin. A year later I was at 3, and then 1.25 last January - 2010. Since then I have been told to keep taking my Levo - at .75mg per day. He is my family doc - wont let me see an Endo b/c there are many things the family doc has to do before an Endo will see you here (in Canada), and we haven't done them yet.

Over the last 6 months I have lost 25 pounds (I know - great, but scary too because I didn't do anything dif't), I have insomnia every night, I have had heart palpitations and panic-like symptoms, etc. So, I saw my doc finally and he finally tested everything, sort of, and last week the tests came back like this:

TSH - lower than .0125 (norm .3 to3)
Free t3 - (I don't understand this number) 24.2 (he said normal is 10-24 - I can't find these numbers anywhere online - must be another type of calculation...)
Free t4 -11.11 (he said norm is 4-7)

So, now he wants me to only take .25 per day for a month, come in and see whether I have a node or whether it's "good old graves disease". I asked if I may have Hashimotos - and he said he can't see how that could be. He said if I have graves I will need some anti-hormone stuff or whatever and routine checking.

He said that taking the Levo while I was already at normal was NOT THE PROBLEM - and it didn't have anything to do with my flipping to HYPER from HYPO. Is he lying?

If it's graves - he said I will flip for months at a time and my meds will depend on how I feel from month to month - is this a serious disease? B/c he made it sound like a "normal problem people have" - like the migraines I get once a week - these are aparently normal too, and not something to worry about....

I thank you all for any help you can give me. I want you to know I appreciate your time and value the advice from people who've been there.

BTW - I live in Wpg, Manitoba if anyone knows of a good doc/endo can you tell me? (There used to be a good one but he retired and I can't find another online that is good - but I've never seen an Endo yet).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Hi all, my results after I flipped to hyper from hypo...

I think those Free thyroid levels have switched places - the level with a reference range of 10-24 is FT4 and the one with 4-7 is FT3. Any case your levels were definitely high (especially FT3, T3 is mainly responsible for symptoms/not having symptoms), that would cause hyperT symptoms and you needed reduce the dose. You should have both stimulating and suppressing antibodies checked (TSI, TPO and Tg Ab) - you can have both (Hashi's and Graves). It's also possible your thyroid is "leaking" extra hormone as it's being destroyed (and this is just a temporary thing).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-13-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

mmandar HB User

Hello finnmaid - thank you for replying, I thought no one would reply...

You are absolutely right - I typed it wrong -

my t3 was 11.11 with a norm of 4-7
and the t4 was 24.2 with a norm of 10-24

I will be seeing him next week - so he can feel my thyroid for nodules.

Should I be asking him to get those tests done? I don't know if he'll "allow" it - he has a way of explaining things away. He's "pretty sure" I have graves, and didn't mention any additional tests.

Any further comments are welcome - thank you everyone...

Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
(female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User

I also had a similar experience going from hypo to hyper out of nowhere when on the same dose of synthroid for 4 months.

I am hypo with negative antibodies and do not have Graves disease or any nodules on my thyroid.

My Endo said it was like what Finn was saying, a temporary burst from my thyroid, and it did end after I cut back on the synthroid dose, but then I became even more hypo then I was to start with and ultimately needed a higher dose.

So far I've been stable for about 6 months (fingers crossed), but I still worry that it will happen again.

Good luck

Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
(female)

mmandar HB User

It's always good to lose weight, but all of this new stuff with the thyroid - I was used to being hypo for 2 years...

Is graves a really bad thing or is it manageable?

I'm just not sure what to think now - will it always be fluctuating now? Did the drugs force it to burn out? Is that okay or is it bad for me - hurting the thyroid?

Oy....

The Following User Says Thank You to mmandar For This Useful Post:
waggswhiskers (03-24-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Well it depends, it can be really tricky but not always (one may go into remission for a long period of time or those antibodies go down permanently). You should get those antibodies checked - they help to predict the future a bit. If you have suppressing antibodies (as you probably do) they will eventually win and your thyroid will be destroyed (but with proper medication that's not a great big deal). Get those antibodies checked first

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

mmandar HB User

Are those antibody test a normal thing a doc would do if I have graves? - just trying to prepare myself in case he says "not necessary"...

Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, I don't see how he can make any definite diagnosis without them. Why guess when you have tests

Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
(female)

mmandar HB User

Thank you for all of your help. I'll post how my visit goes next week....

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
(female)

mmandar HB User

Well, I had my blood work redone and it was exactly the same as above.

-The TSH was below .015,
-the free T4 10.62, but was 24.2 several weeks ago - that's good, isn't it?
-free T3 high (I'm assuming still over 11 like last time).

They decided to test my anti-tpo, and I have an ultrasound coming up.

I got the results today. The anti-tpo are 349! with a norm of 0-30.

So, I am totally lost again. I'm thinking again that the doc make me go into hyper by over-prescribing the levothyroxine when I was already at my optimum numbers.

Are they just covering up this mistake by saying that I may have developed Graves - and they don't know why?

They said that Graves is not for sure until they see my ultrasound - but don't the antibodies at that level - 349 mean that I do have it?

Is RAI the only treatment if it's the over-medicating and not Graves?

One last question - is it possible that my depression was hypo all along - and I've been treated for it for 10 years for nothing? (I was first found to have a TSH of 9 about 5 years ago - that's when my treatment began for the thyroid, and I had already been on Paxil for years.)

Thank you everyone for your help, in advance.

Last edited by mmandar; 02-18-2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added a question

Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandar View Post
Well, I had my blood work redone and it was exactly the same as above.

-The TSH was below .015,
-the free T4 10.62, but was 24.2 several weeks ago - that's good, isn't it?
-free T3 high (I'm assuming still over 11 like last time).

They decided to test my anti-tpo, and I have an ultrasound coming up.

I got the results today. The anti-tpo are 349! with a norm of 0-30.

So, I am totally lost again. I'm thinking again that the doc make me go into hyper by over-prescribing the levothyroxine when I was already at my optimum numbers.

Are they just covering up this mistake by saying that I may have developed Graves - and they don't know why?

They said that Graves is not for sure until they see my ultrasound - but don't the antibodies at that level - 349 mean that I do have it?

Is RAI the only treatment if it's the over-medicating and not Graves?

One last question - is it possible that my depression was hypo all along - and I've been treated for it for 10 years for nothing? (I was first found to have a TSH of 9 about 5 years ago - that's when my treatment began for the thyroid, and I had already been on Paxil for years.)

Thank you everyone for your help, in advance.
An ultrasound will not confirm Graves'. And, the TPOab test you had will not confirm Graves'. The TPOab test is a marker of inflammation so, your elevated level shows that your thyroid is inflamed. This could have occurred as a result of you being hypo....or from you going hyper.

TPOab's in the thousands usually indicates Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism).

There are a couple of different Graves' antibody tests that will confirm Graves'. It's my understanding that, in Canada, the TSH-receptor antibody test is used....sometimes referred to as TRAb or thyrotropin receptor antibody.

You do not need RAI if you have Graves'...in fact, RAI can make Graves' worse.

Honestly, based upon your earlier symptoms and TSH, it sounds like you were hypo. Now, some people do have Hashi's and Graves'....and start off hypo, then become hyper...to ultimately wind up hypo again.

At the end of the day, it would be appropriate to treat whatever situation is prevalent at the time.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
(female)

mmandar HB User

cd37 - thank you for the info. I am probably more confused now though. If I don't have Graves, are you saying they simply need to treat the hyper numbers, with what? an anti-thyroid med? isn't that what the RAI is?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Sorry for the confusion.

What I was trying to tell you is that you have not had any tests that will confirm Graves' - only the antibody tests that I told you about will definitively confirm Graves'.

Non-Graves' hyperthyroidism is usually treated with anti-thyroid drugs.

RAI is not an anti-thyroid drug. RAI stands for "radioactive iodine" which is a permanent treatment. The patient ingests radioactive iodine - most of it is absorbed by the thyroid since the thyroid needs iodine to produce thyroid hormone. As a result, the thyroid dies off....eventually.

If Graves' is the cause of your hyperthyroidism, it might affect your treatment choice.

There are 3 treatment options for Graves': ATD's, RAI or surgery.

80-90% of people taking ATD's go into remission. Knowing your baseline antibody level is helpful if you choose ATD's as your treatment choice since you will want to check your antibody level when your body shows you (via lab work) that you are nearing remission.

RAI causes a flood of antibodies to be released as the thyroid is dying - this can cause or exacerbate Thyroid Eye Disease. A recent large study demonstrated higher cancer and cardiac mortality in post-RAI patients. People that have had RAI no longer have a thyroid and need to take thyroid hormone replacement meds for life.

Surgery is the only other treatment option and carries with it the inherent risks of surgery. It will most definitely take care of the hyperthyroidism by removing the thyroid...and the patient will need to take thyroid hormone replacement meds for life.

At the end of the day, if you want to know if you have Graves', you need the Graves' antibody tests.

Once you know whether or not you have Graves', then it seems prudent to think about treatment options.

No matter what, if you have hyperthyroidism, you need ATD's to lower your thyroid hormone levels.

And, if you have Graves', you can make the choice of taking ATD's or opting for RAI or surgery.

Last edited by cd37; 02-18-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typos

Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Me again....

Now that I've told you more than you probably wanted to know about Graves', please know that I'm not saying you necessarily have Graves' but it makes sense to rule it out.

I was trying to give you the basis for your doctor's comments that you might have Graves' and, again, point out to you that you need antibody testing to confirm it....just as others have said.

In Canada, the Graves' antibody test that doctors run is the TRAb (TSH or thyrotropin receptor antibody test).

And, still, at the end of the day - unless you decide to remove your thyroid via RAI or surgery, you will need to treat your thyroid according to whatever is going on with it at the time.

If you are currently taking levothyroxine/synthroid and your thyroid hormone levels (and symptoms) are hyper, you lower the dose.

If you wind up not needing the levo anymore and have normal thyroid hormone levels (including no symptoms), great.

If you go off levo and find yourself with hyper levels (and symptoms) - yes, you would need to take anti-thyroid drugs.

Hope all of this makes sense.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
(female)

mmandar HB User

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

I actually had sort of a little meltdown today because everything was too confusing and I was being affected by lack of sleep, my depression, extra anxiety and of course a migraine.

I think I will take out some books on this at the library - I think the lack of understanding has lead to my being overly scared about all of this.

I appreciate your help though, very much.

Closed Thread