It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
(female)

Septerra HB User
losing my hair, please help

I had my thyroid removed when I was 13 and have had thin hair ever since. It didn't really bother me because no one could see my scalp and it wasn't that bad. but over the last year my hair has gotten BAD. I first noticed the difference when I could see a small "slit" of baldness on the back of my head. Since then my hair has become incredibly coarse and brittle and now my scalp is clearly visible from many angles.

In August I got my gallbladder removed because it was causing me immense pain but I have otherwise been healthy. My doctor said my results are normal and my thyroid is NOT causing my hair loss. I don't believe it. I already have an appointment made with a derm for next month and tomorrow I'm going to call the endo and demand he send me a copy of my labs.

But my appointment is a month away and this hair problem is causing me immense stress and emotional pain. I'm 20 years old and can only imagine what I will look like at 30. I'm scared that no one will ever want to be with me and that I'll spend my life alone. All sorts of horrible ideas like this are going through my head.

Am I doomed here? And more importantly, is there anyone here who has gone through this and come out of it with their hair recovered? Please I need help. I don't even want to leave the house anymore :[

[[sorry about multiple posting. the title of my other topic got curropted]]

The following user gives a hug of support to Septerra:
qunitis (01-22-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: losing my hair, please help

The good news is, that if it is your thyroid that's causing your hair issues, then once you are regulated on a dose that's more appropriate for you, then your hair can grow back in to where it's supposed to be.

You need to get to another endocrinologist. Make sure they test more than your tsh---your free t4 and free t3 levels will give a better picture of where you are. And you have a right to get a copy of your labs---I have just shown up, and asked for a copy, that usually works.

There are other vitamin deficiencies as well as medical conditions that can affect your hair, but it shouldn't be too hard to rule out the thyroid. And I know this sounds crazy, but try to get a really good haircut---it can minimize the bad spots and give you fullness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
(female)

qunitis HB User

Septerra, you are not alone. I have been fighting thyroid problem for 17 years, my hair has fallen off and grown back four times by now. When I switched to the new formulated armour thyoid, within two weeks, massive amount of my hair fell off, I did'nt want to get out of my house, I knew something was wrong with my med, fortunately I found some old formulated armour thyroid in a small rural pharmacy and started to take it, after two months my hair started to grow back. A month ago I finally ran out of the old armour, and was back on the new armour, this time I crushed my pills and added some honey to it, it worked, my hair didn't fall off as much as before, but it is still not like the old armour thyroid. So I ordered some erfa thyroid from Canada and decided to give it a try. According to some people posting here, erfa works just like the old armour thyroid, I'm looking forward to trying it.
Don't be frustrated, your hair will grow back once you are on the right medication and the right dosage. Once you get your lab result, please post it here, a lot of kind people like Midwest can help you to interpret it and give you advice. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
(female)

redrock11 HB User

Hi boy do I know all about Thyroid Probs' I had a swollen thyroid (hyperactive) in my early 20's and my 2 choices were surgery or radio-active iodine. I chose to treat my thyroid naturally, a girlfriend recommended an iridologist so for 20 bucks I though I would check into it Well, to my surprise after diagnosing the problem she recommended Norwegian Kelp and a B complex for stress along with a few other herbal combinations. You may want to try kelp it contains many vitamins and trace minerals and if your under any amount of stress the B complex will surely help strengthen your nails, and hair. The hair loss is totally related to the thyroid being off balance to one degree or another in my opinion. Are you currently taking Synthroid? Or any type of thyroid med? They can rob your body of calcium among other things but I understand it is necessary. I am currently taking the Now product called Thyroid Energy you may want to look into it. < edited > Make sure to meditate too - try to calm your energy and take time out for yourself. Stress and getting all wound up really contributes to thyroid problems.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-23-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

gratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB Usergratedanes HB User

I would get your mineral/vitamin levels checked, b/c sometimes it's not always related to the thyroid, the thyroid is usually the secondary cause. Low iron can cause hair loss. Research biotin and the amt you should take for excess hair shedding. There are also essetial oils you can rub on the scalp to promote hairgroth, such as peppermint and rosemary oil.

In the meantime you can get extensions, they have those easy clip ons at Sally's. I've met so many ppl who have extensions all over their head and you'd never even notice it.

Closed Thread