It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

noodles3 HB User
Tender legs (or calf) and hypothyroidism

Has anyone heard of a connection between hypothyroidism and tenderness in the legs (specifically calf area).

I noticed a few years ago my calves were sore during a pedicure - they acutally heard when being massaged with pressure. Could this be a hypo symptom?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
(female)

sealear HB User
Re: Tender legs (or calf) and hypothyroidism

Hi, I actually replied to a post today about sore calves and menopause and now I see this posting. I am 55, in menopause, and have hypothyroidism. I was also diagnosed with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, last year. I have had sore calves since this past September. It comes and goes and moves around...for instance, from the calf to the ankle or back of knee. Sometimes I feel a buzzing sensation or pins and needles kind of sensation....its hard to explain. At first it really scared me, especially due to my GAD worries. I have mentioned it several times to my doctor but he doesn't seem too concerned at this point. He thinks it could be RLS, but I don't think so. Anyway, I have read that you can have muscle aches/tension with menopause, hypothyroidism, and GAD. I asked my doctor if this could be from my thyroid but he said "no"....since with my thyroid is right where it should be at this point .... in other words, my thyroid meds are working and he said I shouldn't feel any symptoms of hypo at this point. But I have wondered about that...and am wondering if anyone else feels any symptoms from their thyroid even though they are on medication and their levels are on target? Also, I have asked before on this site if others have had sore legs/calves from their GAD and also, I would love to hear if any woman, not taking hormones, have felt this as well. Do you have any other symptoms regarding hypo? Hope to hear from you soon, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

noodles3 HB User
Re: Tender legs (or calf) and hypothyroidism

What is GAD? (sorry, I reread the post and now see your description) Anxiety is a big part of menopause...panic attacks, etc. I had that pretty bad at one time and still have the anxiety part at times. I used to feel a weird panic while driving on occasion. Now that hormones are settling I am much better.

I have not been diagnosed as hypo but I believe I have a sluggish thyroid since I find it impossible to lose weight now. This only started during perimeno. I think the leg tenderness was probably around the same time but can't say as I didn't think much of it. It is usually 24/7 but I noticed once over the past year it seemed to disappear. Of course, it's back again. I would not be surprised in the least if there is a hormonal link.

Last edited by noodles3; 01-22-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Closed Thread