It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #31
(female)

Shorty1952 HB User
Re: What should I expect Post-Op??

My hormones are all out of whack today. Feelings of anxiety, crying.....
Need to get back to work, but honestly I am afraid that my cognitive skills are impaired. Is this all normal?

Called endo to make appt. Going on the 24th. Didn't want to go too soon wanted to give the medication a chance to level off in my system.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
(female)

Terrybee HB User

Depression is a sign of low thyroid. I did experience this as a need to cry - but couldn't figure out why I wanted to. I didn't get anxiety and hopefully won't. Here's something I found that may be helpful. I'm not allowed to write in specific websites on this board, though.
There are many symptoms that characterize hypothyroidism. Some of the more common ones are drastic weight gain, low body heat that makes you feel cold all the time, low energy level, dry skin that also looks pale and most importantly depression. There are many other symptoms that together characterize hypothyroidism. But the problem in diagnosing this hormonal disorder is that these symptoms vary in each individual.

One of the symptoms that help in identifying the disorder is anxiety. In fact, anxiety can also be characterized as one of the consequences of hypothyroidism. A patient suffering from hypothyroidism experiences anxiety bout due to the hormonal imbalance that has been caused due to thyroid disorder. At times these fits of anxiety can mislead patients and even doctors into thinking that the person is suffering from mood swings or some kind of an emotional problem. This can further delay the treatment of the disorder. It is only when anti depressants and therapies are able to solve the problem that the doctors start considering this anxiety as one of the causes of hypothyroidism. These fits of anxiety are usually accompanied by fits of depression that keep occurring at regular intervals.

The thyroid hormone not only controls proper functioning of all other hormones of the human body but also proper functioning of the brain. This makes it extremely essential to cure the disorder as soon as possible.

The most common method that is used for the treatment of hypothyroidism is the hormone replacement treatment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Terrybee For This Useful Post:
Shorty1952 (02-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #33
(female)

Shorty1952 HB User

Got a call today from the surgeon. Pathology report came back benigh.

YEAH!!!! No radiation. Going back to work on Monday. Feeling better today. No feelings of anxiety. Did feel a little disoriented around noon time today, but passed after about an hour. Endo appointmenton the 22nd.

Thanks for all your support.

The following user gives a hug of support to Shorty1952:
faithdownunder (03-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
(female)

Terrybee HB User

That's great! I just came back from my surgical check up and no cancer! Yey! But he did say it was the biggest, bloodiest thyroid he's ever removed....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #35
(female)

sleepyallday HB User

I really want to personally thank each and everyone of you for your responses and experiences. My surgery is now scheduled for this Friday (2/18) and I am trying to get things in order around my house in preparation. Thank you so much for the idea of bio-oil. I am going to look into that today. Is there any particular brand or store I should look at?? I am feeling a little anxiety. I think anyone would. I am ready to get this over with, but I am also not ready at the same time. I am sure I will be fine, just pre-op nerves. I wish you all the best of luck with your treatments. It's nice to have a support group like this!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #36
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

What was your pathology results for your nodules? I just had a TT last week because of the same issues. One large dominate one that grew. I find out March 21.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #37
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithdownunder View Post
What was your pathology results for your nodules? I just had a TT last week because of the same issues. One large dominate one that grew. I find out March 21.
Hi Faith,
Mine came back Benign!!! Very happy, now the healing truly can begin. I have a rather large swollen area under the suture line that actually seems to be finally getting smaller, but it was almost like a mans Adam's Apple. A friend of mine who is a PA told me that was the suture line and it was perfectly normal to have it. Since they cut through a couple layers of muscle to get to the thyroid, it is just the bodies way of saying "hey, I really not happy here">
Did you or have you had any problems swallowing certain foods? Mine has been bread for sure. I have to cut up everything very small. But that is also getting easier.
Good luck to you on your report. Try to think positive thoughts. It is rare for it to be the "C" word, but if it comes back that, best place to have it because they have totally removed your thyroid!!! But....I feel that you will be just fine. Keeping positive thoughts and sending your way. Let me know, OK?
j

Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #38
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Thanks Mate. I certainly have been positive because anything other than that just causes unwanted anxiety and stress on me and my family. Oddly, my husband is the one who's more irritable than me this week?!?

I have had no discomfort with eating anything. I mean anything. I actually ate 5 hours after my surgery. Soup and a turkey sandwich. I had one of the best thyroid surgeons in the USA and he clearly stood up to his reputation. I've had no complications.

I am however dealing with so much hormone imbalance. I still have yet to start my menstrual cycle, I am sweating out of the blue like crazy and not sleeping that well. I take my thyroid med at night before bed. That truly is the only time I can take mine as I have to take my beta blocker first thing in the am. I am still dealing with the rapid heart rate upon standing. I am still praying that my thyroid hormones were in excess despite the normal blood work and that was causing my postural heart rate problem.

Thanks for your great posts. Good idea.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #39
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithdownunder View Post
Thanks Mate. I certainly have been positive because anything other than that just causes unwanted anxiety and stress on me and my family. Oddly, my husband is the one who's more irritable than me this week?!?

I have had no discomfort with eating anything. I mean anything. I actually ate 5 hours after my surgery. Soup and a turkey sandwich. I had one of the best thyroid surgeons in the USA and he clearly stood up to his reputation. I've had no complications.

I am however dealing with so much hormone imbalance. I still have yet to start my menstrual cycle, I am sweating out of the blue like crazy and not sleeping that well. I take my thyroid med at night before bed. That truly is the only time I can take mine as I have to take my beta blocker first thing in the am. I am still dealing with the rapid heart rate upon standing. I am still praying that my thyroid hormones were in excess despite the normal blood work and that was causing my postural heart rate problem.

Thanks for your great posts. Good idea.
That is wonderful that you have had not problems with the swelling. I also had the head surgeon here at our hospital in Fort Lauderdale, but for whatever reason, I got the pleasure of having my suture line swell up. A few of my friends as I stated, said it was normal, but man, I am worried that my skin will not go back to normal
Have had no problems with the hormones. I am 58 so all done with the monthly periods. A little tired, a few hot flashes, but nothing that I can't handle. Guess everyone is so different the way the recup, main thing is, we are over it and I know you will be fine. Please let me know, OK? Take care...thoughts coming your way.

Closed Thread