It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
How long did it take you to feel better after you were given thyroid medication?

How long did it take you to feel better after you were given thyroid medication?

It's taken me some time to feel better and I just want to know if that is what others may or may not have experienced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

Imarealpill HB UserImarealpill HB User
Re: How long did it take you to feel better after you were given thyroid medication?

As I recall, it was just a couple of weeks. The dose was too high and had to be lowered.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: How long did it take you to feel better after you were given thyroid medication?

It took me a full year to be rid of symptoms and feel myself again. I had a rocky start, though. First had to convince an MD of my self-diagnosis, then had a rough time with Synthroid, and had to find an MD willing to prescribe desiccated thyroid. It was worth the effort, no matter how long it took.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
(female)

Actually I started taking Synthroid in June for infertility and I was pregnant by Labor Day, that same year. Yes, it worked pretty fast for me!! I have a 20 year old son now, thanks to Synthroid. Infertility isn't a usual cause from thyroid stuff, but my TSH was 11 and I really needed the Synthroid...I was tired and gaining weight, too, as I recall. Right now I take 137 mcg of Synthroid.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I am not on medicine, but my thyroiditis is supposedly clearing up but I still do not feel well. My doctor says my lab tests are in the normal range, but I do not feel normal. Very frustrating.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
(female)

toomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB Usertoomanypets HB User

It took a year and a half to feel like I was on the right dosage, but I noticed an improvement almost immediately. I think some of that improvement was feeling like my doctor finally heard me and I was finally getting treatment for something that had been sucking the life out of me for 10 years.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
(female)

sevenseas831 HB Usersevenseas831 HB User

I started taking medication about 3 months ago, and my dosage was just increased about 2 1/2 weeks ago. This is the first week that I have felt anything like my old self. I still don't feel great, but the fatigue is not so pervasive, and my hair does not seem to be falling out as much. I think it depends on the person. Some people feel better fairly quickly while for others it takes a long while.

Hope you feel better soon

Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarealpill View Post
Actually I started taking Synthroid in June for infertility and I was pregnant by Labor Day, that same year. Yes, it worked pretty fast for me!! I have a 20 year old son now, thanks to Synthroid. Infertility isn't a usual cause from thyroid stuff, but my TSH was 11 and I really needed the Synthroid...I was tired and gaining weight, too, as I recall. Right now I take 137 mcg of Synthroid.
Um, yes thyroid issues and infertility can be linked...

There is tons of info out there that it can linked...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
(female)

Huh, well over 20 years ago, they were trying to marginalize the relationship between the two. Of course, it's important, but the science wasn't exactly there.

I am glad that I found an endocrinologist who was ahead of his times.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
(female)

goodog HB User

Hang in there! It's a rough ride with the thyroid. Just remember it is most likely your thyroid that is doing this to you. People don't understand how bad a person who has thyroid trouble feels. I have lost friends because I never felt like doing anything and so eventually, they quit asking. I lost my career. I lost a great deal of self esteem because I was so sick I couldn't work. It has been horrible. I am going to go back to the University hospital where I got the 131. I think maybe the endo there will listen to me and hopefully help me. You are not fat because you are lazy and you are not responsible for the fact that you feel so bad. I wish there was some way that other people could understand the nasty sick feeling that comes when things are cycling. Well, everyone in here certainly knows. So nice to know I am not alone in this. Hang on and I hope you find a really great endo. Try a University Hospital. They are usually miles ahead of regular docs.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

In five days I felt better. I had had 1/2 Removed 7 months before so by the time I got on meds I was a basket case.

After about 6 weeks it settles down and you feel better all the time.

I can always tell tho when my TSH is going up!! My feet and joints hurt, I feel bloated and I can't seem to think straight.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

First day on meds - felt amazing
Next 2 weeks - better
3rd week - worse than before I started
-- dosage upped --
Improvement for 4 weeks
Next 2 weeks improvements remain, exhaustion returns
Blood test taken and waiting on results.

Closed Thread