It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
How are you able to maintain your job with thyroid issues?

How are you able to maintain your job with thyroid issues?

Did you ever need to take a leave of absence or reduced hours?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: How are you able to maintain your job with thyroid issues?

I think it depends if you're hyper or hypo. I was hyper in the beginning and I clean houses so the extra energy didn't hurt too much, the fast heart rate whenever I ran up the steps wasn't too great, you could actually SEE my pulse. Hyper also comes with other issues like Graves rage. I was quite ****** off most of the time! Not reasonably so, I see that now. I have been more on the hypo side for awhile now and don't have as much energy but I'm fine. More mellow, much more. I know others have a lot more issues than me, it can be tough. I worked with one girl (who I KNEW was hypo and she finally went to an endo and she was) She had a hard time, was depressed most of the time and very fatigued, not a good combo for cleaning! I think you might be able to get a doctor's note till you straighten out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

It's all up to the individual and how ill they are.

I have Hashimoto's and had all the symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, cold, trouble sleeping, sick often etc) but I could work. I'd be exhausted when I got home, but I could work.

I'm fortunate that my employer will let me off to go to my doctor's appointments which were many this past year (I was only diagnosed in March of '10). But it looks like we've finally got my dosage worked out and I've been losing weight and feeling a lot better.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
(female)

kath74 HB User

Hi
YEP had to take a leave of absense from my job - back when I was waiting for the definite diagnosis and then again after that. I was lucky that I was with a Company that had long/short term disability. Because my red blood cells were so enormous they suspected that I had lymphoma, lupus and or hodgekins. I had to have bone marrow tests. It was all hashimotos. Have had very strange symptoms (according to the doctors) but I know that these symptoms are part of the hashimotos now. My daughter has it now as well. She is a young woman who is going through tough times with symptoms. My sister has it and my mother as well. Neither my sister or mom have the same problems that I have had, however my daughter is now experiencing the kind of problems that I had at her age. The exhausting was terrible. I would get up and dressed after a full nites sleep and then need a nap for a few hours. So, I think I know what you are going through. If you need someone to talk to, send a post using my name (Cairo170) in the question, I will see it and respond. Take care, it does get better and you can be back to "almost" being you again.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Eir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB UserEir33 HB User

I'm struggling with that right now too...it can be tough. I was dx'd November 2010 and each time I increase my thyroid meds, it takes awhile to adjust. In the meantime I feel jittery, anxious, with a racing heart, and then the hypo symptoms as well. Fortunately after a week or two I start feeling better than ever.

In November I started 50mcg Eltroxin. That was by far the worst period, I had been without adequate thyroid hormone for so long that it was a huge jolt to the system. I missed about 7 days of work. Then in January I went up to 75mcg, and was off work for 5 days. Right now I'm needing an increase and have missed 4 days.

Fortunately, my workplace (specifically, my immediate supervisor) has been very understanding in letting me take the time I need to adjust and feel better. I take sick days, if I run out I'm allowed to take vacation days, and if those are gone I can take unpaid sick days. I am very grateful for this, although I do feel guilty, like I'm playing hooky from school or something. But that's my *thyroid brain guilt*.

You know what the worst part is? Gauging when I can come back. Trying to figure out if I think I can do it, make it through the day, be able to concentrate. Coming back after missing a few days is scary, quite frankly. Fortunately it usually only takes a few days to feel like myself again.

Sorry for the novel. This issue just happens to be near and dear to me right now!

Closed Thread