It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

GrannyApples HB User
Newbie wants to know What foods can a Hypo eat?

Hi
I am new here.
I just found out this week my tsh level is a 7
Dr put me on Levothyroxine

I thought I was eating right by eating vegetables and fruits. I was taking the vegetable and fruit juice capsules for better health. They were excellent at keeping me regular.

The other night, I found out about goitrogenic foods.
I notice the supplement I was taking for about 3 months contained a lot of goitrogenic fruits and vegetables. I also had started taking Soy Lecithin about 3 weeks ago.

I never had thyroid problems before.
I wonder if my tsh level became high because of the supplements I have been taking?

I seen the NP when I received the news about my test. She said, I could continue the lecithin.

I wished, I would of known at the time about goitrogenic foods. I go back in 6 weeks to lab work to see if the meds are working.
I want to see the dr next visit not the NP.

What if it was the supplements that made the tsh high and now that I stopped taking them..
Do you think my tsh level will go back to normal.
If so, do you think taking the Thyroid meds will hurt me?

What foods can a person with Hypo eat?
I saw the list of foods a you should not eat and it seems like it mentioned just about everything.

I am reading about the generic brand Levothyroxine and Synthroid.
How much does Synthroid cost?
Is the natural thyroid medicine better?
Will there be any side effects if I change to a different brand?

Do you know if anyone was able to get off of thyroid meds once they start taking it?

So could someone please help me.

Last edited by GrannyApples; 01-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: What foods can a Hypo eat?

If you are being treated, you can eat anything you want---but if something makes you feel unwell, you should avoid it or eat it in moderation.

Eating right has nothing to do with your thyroid (although some foods like cabbage and broccolli, and soy can make you feel not quite right). You have an autoimmune disease, where your thyroid is being attacked, and you need to replace the hormone your body isn't producing.

Also, don't take calcium with your synthroid take it at another time of day.

There are cheaper generics for synthroid, but you need to make sure you stick to one generic brand, because some people do better on one than another, and some pharmacies jump from one generic provider to another.

Last edited by Reece; 01-28-2011 at 08:06 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
GrannyApples (01-28-2011), LadyWriter1968 (02-14-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Reese,
Thank you for your reply.
I am really overwhelmed with the news about me being hypo. I knew nothing about the disease until I came across this website after my dr visit.

Do you know if Synthyoid is a lot more than the generic? I am thinking about asking my dr to switch to Synthyoid if it is better.

I just started taking the drug Monday,
Yesterday and today my throat feels bad.
It has a like when you coming down with a sore throat and hoarseness. It really bothers me.

i am not sick so I really do think it is the meds that making me feel this way,

Is this Normal or should I call my Dr and let him know?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

one2wonder HB User

As far as meds, it's one of those things where it's what works best for you. Brand name synthroid might work well for one person, and another one does better on generic.... another person might do well on desiccated (what's termed as "natural), another might not do well on it. As far as price of the medication, it depends on the pharmacy and if you have coverage. That would probably be a good question for your pharmacy.

Good reading material:

The Thyroid Paradox (by James Rone)
Thyroid Power (by Richard and Karilee Shames)
The Thyroid Solution (by Ridha Arem)

Last edited by one2wonder; 01-28-2011 at 07:05 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to one2wonder:
GrannyApples (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Thanks Wonder for this information,

I still would like to know if is normal for your throat to feel sore when just begining the meds

I was feeling fine, (except for a pull muscle in my back and shoulder and a bruised foot) when I was diagnosed. I just went in for my 6 months regular blood work when it showed my TSH as 7.
NP put me on 25mcg of levorthrozine.

Last edited by GrannyApples; 01-28-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I don't ever remember having the sore throat myself when I started meds, but that's not to say it's not something someone could have. I would ask the pharmacist and/or your doc. Did your doc examine your thyroid at all (feel around the thyroid)?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Just another note, that is a very small starting dose with someone with a tsh that high (I'd rather the dr. start at 50mcg) , so make sure that doctor keeps re-testing---especially the free t 4 and free t 3. Each brand (even the natural ones) have different fillers, which may effect how you absorb the hormone.

I stick with synthroid brand, which for some unknown reason, seems to make me feel better than a generic.

The natural hormones are sometimes more of a challenge to get, and very often the doctors don't seem to want to give them, so if you do well on a synthetic, it's a really good way to go in terms of ease---more people than you realize that you know are on thyroid meds, and most do well probably even on the generic.

The following user gives a hug of support to Reece:
GrannyApples (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
I don't ever remember having the sore throat myself when I started meds, but that's not to say it's not something someone could have. I would ask the pharmacist and/or your doc. Did your doc examine your thyroid at all (feel around the thyroid)?
Hi one2wonder,
My throat feels dry and a very slight irritation on the left side. I just called the pharm and he said it is one of the side effects.
I asked him if my high number could be from all the goitrogens that I was eating and supplements. I had started taking Lecithin about 2 weeks before the blood work.

No the dr did not examine my throat.
I seen the NP and just went over my lab work and said my TSH was a 7 and I have hypo and put me on the meds. No examination at all. Just the routine weight and blood pressure test before seeing the NP.

Now, whenever I see the Dr. He does a good examination. Checks eyes, mouth, throat and hands and abdomen whenever you see him for anything.

I will make a appointment and ask to see the Dr for my visit and I will ask him to the full panel test. Not just the TSH.

I don't feel bad at all. My skin was started to get dry and my nails were always brittle and would split.

I washed my hair last night and a lot of hair came out. It made me nervous.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me
I am really scared about this and the idea of having to take meds for the rest of my life.

I am more of a natural person and I don't take any meds expect xanax sometimes for anxiety.
Since Monday, I took one everyday to help calm me down.

Now, I worry about what to eat. What I can take over the counter... for colds and other minor alignments. What if the meds or OVC meds cause a harmful side effect and harm another part of my body.
Ugh

Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Thanks Reece for your reply
I made an appt to see the Dr next week.
Hopefully I will learn more here so that I can ask him more question and understand more what he is talking about.
I will ask to do more blood work for the thyroids.
He only had the TSH on the lab report.

What would you do..
Would you wait until your 6 week lab follow up or ask for the lab work to be taken next week?

How do you find out what the fillers are in your meds?

I don't want to take any drugs with TALC in it as a filler.

Last edited by GrannyApples; 01-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

I just bought a thermo pedic bed this month and fumes were so bad the first night it gave me a headache. It still have a chemical odor but not as bad as the first week. I wonder this could of made my TSH go up?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

Hi there, put up a question but you seem to know a bit about this. when I was 35 was diagnosed with hypertension. I am now 42, last week with underactive thyroid, now all my meds will be free, yet before I had to pay for my blood pressure tabs for years, and hypertension is serious as well. Cos as you know with the heart attack and stroke rate if your blood p go up to high you can have a blood clot etc,

So does this mean that underactive thyroid is more serious then hypertension then? and thats why all meds become free after? or is it just a certain list they choose of conditions where the patient will get or not get free meds?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

I to only started taking the meds for this condition a few days ago, but I am fine though. but started on very low dose as only just diagnosed with it.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

You are on exactly same as me, 25mcg, me like you new nothing about this condition until I was diagnosed a few days ago. soz cant answer of your sore throat since I just started but I am fine so far, maybe you are just coming down with a cold maybe.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Hi Lady Writer.
Good to hear you feel fine.
I never heard of someone getting free meds because of a medical condition. Unless they are on medicare.

I had a UTI this weekend. The antibiotic made me sick.
I called the dr to let him know but he did not call back.
I think the it is too strong for me. It makes my liver area have discomfort and I feel nausea at times.

I had gone to ENT for the sore throat and the NP said it was sinusitis irritating my throat. She gave me some med.
It went away in 3 days.

I drank some strong cranberry juice and it irritated my throat again. I am not drinking anymore. I will stick with plain water. I drink at least 8 glasses a day of water.

I will try and get lab work done soon.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User

In UK certain meds are free if they are on the free list, if not then you pay.

Closed Thread