It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
Has ANYONE ever naturally lost weight after being hypo when their levels stabilized?

Has ANYONE ever naturally lost weight after being hypo when their levels were stabilized?

Or, is that just a naive question? Anyone know if that is likely to happen?

Or, is the weight you gain when you go hypo going to stick with you even when the levels stabilize?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: Has ANYONE ever naturally lost weight after being hypo when their levels stabiliz

Good Question

I've had Chronic Fatigue since 99 & gained a bunch of weight. I think my thyroid messed up at the same time. Long story short, on thyroid meds beginning of 2003. It helped me feel alittle better, but no cure for my other probs. Over a course of about 9 months I slowly felt better then good enough to divorced my jerk husband. I worked a busy job so pushed myself constantly. Well, from October 03 to Jan 04 I lost 55 pounds! When you are hypo, doesn't matter what you do, just can't seem to lose... But once it is straightened out, you can lose weight.
I easily kept the weight off for a long time, even had a 3rd baby & did great. Then 2 months after he was born I couldn't get Armour anymore, Dr prescribed Levothyroid or something like that. I have gained 25 pounds since having the baby. I finally got back on Armour, but not a high enough dose. Anyhow, I'm just now upping my meds, tired of being Hypo. Not only have I gained a bunch of weight but I have the puffy face & lots of water retention... I'm hoping to start losing soon. Having the problems I have, I have to exercise best I can. So, I ride the stationary bike 15-30 mins daily... Sometimes I'm to sick, but as long as I can do it, I do it... I eat a max of 1200 calories daily, healthy foods, a ton of water & still can't lose weight.
I'm also taking a Fiber supplement daily & also magnesium. I talked to my daughters dietitian & she said they are safe for daily use so that helps with constipation problems.
Anyhow, tried to keep it short...
Don't give up hope. You can lose weight once your thyroid is regulated. But, you have to exercise, eat healthy & drink lots of water. We never eat fast food & if I have a sweet tooth, Apple with peanut butter or a yogurt fixes the problem.
Also, you don't have to exercise an hour daily. Hop on a bike or go for a walk, even if it's just 5 mins, atleast it's 5 mins. Heck, hop on it for 5 mins a few times a day... Not just to lose weight but also make you feel good (it releases happy hormones).
I'm going to continue what I'm doing & once my thyroid regulates, I'm sure the weight will come right back off.

Last edited by thefarm; 01-29-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

sevenseas831 HB Usersevenseas831 HB User
Re: Has ANYONE ever naturally lost weight after being hypo when their levels stabiliz

It is very hard to lose weight while you are hypo. I started taking the meds about three months ago and only lost a little weight. I think the problem is that one of the major symptoms of being hypo is the extreme fatigue, so most people are not as active as they usually are and the weight just creeps up. Once I started becoming active again, I did start to lose weight, but I don't think I could have lost it just by taking the meds. What I am anxious to see is once I get back to a normal healthy weight, will I be able to maintain it more easily now that I am on meds.

It is a long road back from being hypo, but I am finally starting to feel like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Two nights ago when I was using the treadmill, I felt for the first time like it was not a struggle. I actually felt like I had the energy to do it without having to force myself. It has been a very long time since I felt that way, so I am hopeful.

How long have you been on your meds?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

According to my endo, I do not need medicine. I have silent thyroiditis without antibodies and with no family history. He says it will correct itself on its own. I still do not feel 100%.

Sevenseas: Did you feel better before, during, or after your levels were "better"? Which came first? For me, my levels are starting to stabilize a bit but I still do not feel what I hoped to feel.

Last edited by Spencer1; 01-30-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Just as not everyone automatically gains weight from hypothyroidism, it's not a given that everyone will automatically lose when after treatment begins.

I personally know when my levels are off, because I gain 5-7 pounds. Once my levels stabilize again, that weight drops off without trying. But I think anyone who is more than about 10 lbs. overweight should not expect any automatic reduction solely from taking thyroid med. Weight loss for the vast majority still has to be accomplished the usual way, with good diet and exercise.

It's also untrue that it's always hard for a hypothyroid person to lose weight. My daughter is hypo, chooses not to treat it, and is still able to drop weight when she tries. Perhaps she would lose faster or easier if her thyroid was in tip-top shape, but she still can even though it isn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
jaymee456 (02-26-2012)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

My medication was increased about three weeks ago, and I am just beginning to feel better. I do not get my levels checked again for 2 1/2 months, but I am assuming that since my energy level is finally getting a bit better, my levels must be stabilizing.

It is a strange thing with hypo -- it sort of creeps up on you. I did not realize how tired I was until one day I was exhausted.

I think recovery is slow. I don't know about others, but I did not feel better all at once. It is gradual, and some days I feel like I slip a bit backward. Friday was a really good day, but then on Saturday, I had a bad day. Today is in between.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about two years ago, but apparently my levels were fine until about 4 months ago. So I did not take any medication for the first year and half. I did not feel well though, so I think that even when your lab results are okay, you can still feel really rotten. Did you have your free T4 checked? From what I have read, that is a very important indicator?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
(male)

scottyg354 HB User

Hypo sucks. I was recently diagnosed after what I think was years of suffering due to it. All I did was work eat and sleep. The I began having digestive problems. I've been on levothyroxine for about a month and a half. I noticed I dropped a few pounds and my appetite isn't as big. A little more energy but I only feel about 40-50% of were I should be. From what I understand it is a long road to feeling better.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
(female)

Scottyg - You mention digestive problems. I have a whole array of digestive problems also, and they are very disruptive to my daily life --I always feel sick after I eat. I always thought of these problems as being separate from my thyroid issues, but I wonder if they could be connected.

Like you, before I was put on medication, all I was able to do was work, eat, sleep, and take care of basic needs around the house. Since I began taking the medicine, my appetite has also decreased, and I have started to regain some energy -- nowhere near my normal level, but then again it has been so long since my "normal" level that I have forgotten what that feels like.

Good luck to you. I hope you continue to feel better

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
(female)

bella4ever HB User

Hi,

I was on synthroid for a long time, then synthroid/cytomel, gym five days a week and still could not loose any weight ( I was only 12 pounds over my ideal weight which is not bad but for me it was a huge deal).

Last year at the gym I over excersized and now I have an achilles tendinitis with small tear in BOTH legs. So I gained three more pounds and because I was feeling horrible anyway ( medication didn't work very well) and now gaining like crazy, I saw my endo and asked him for natural thyroid erfa.

Well, after three months my weight started to go down and despite my lack of excersize I am almost to my ideal weight ( from 1986)
I have 4 pounds to go and I feel much, much better. I am a strong believer in desiccated thyroid and could only wish to take it 15 years ago when I started my thyroid journey

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

Murphys1 HB User

I am naturally hypothyroid and after a weight gain of 35 pounds I said enough is enough. I went on a no gluten, no dairy, no sugar diet. I basically ate a high protein, no refined carb, but a minimal amount of healthy complex carbs (a little fruit and lots of veges) and lost 20 pounds. This is also with estrogen replacement. So, it can be done, the diet is boring though. I also wondered if I could loose weight and proved that I could.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys1 View Post
I am naturally hypothyroid and after a weight gain of 35 pounds I said enough is enough. I went on a no gluten, no dairy, no sugar diet. I basically ate a high protein, no refined carb, but a minimal amount of healthy complex carbs (a little fruit and lots of veges) and lost 20 pounds. This is also with estrogen replacement. So, it can be done, the diet is boring though. I also wondered if I could loose weight and proved that I could.
Congrats on the weight loss!
I did that from July to December & didn't lose any weight... It was more of a test to see about food allergies & possible yeast, Caveman Diet.
Unfortunately, I'm not much of a meat eater... ugh... My daughter has been on a vegetarian diet since September. No weight loss or anything but she's happy with her diet. She's 11 & after a couple years of her wanting to be a vegetarian we let her try it out. I didn't think she'd stick to it but it's been 5 months. I've always had the state of mind that you need meat, that's how I was raised. I prefer my current diet which is nuts, grans, fruit, vegetables, portion of dairy. I guess I'm on kind of a vegetarian diet but I meat alittle meat sometimes... Last night for dinner I made rice, chicken, eggs & vegetables mixed together, yum.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I gained 90 lbs when my thyroid went bad (over the course of 9 years- my old doc didn't understand thyroid at all). I got a new doc- a naturopath- who started treating my thyroid and I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months. I've held steady for a few months, and now am ready to try to lose some more weight.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
(female)

btamilee HB User

I have been on Synthorid for almost three years. My numbers show I am stablized, but I honestly don't feel any better. I never had issues with weight until about a month AFTER starting Synthroid, now I fight my weight it on a daily basis, despite a low calorie/fat diet and almost daily intense exercise. I have heard that some people do indeed get good results, I just am not one of them.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btamilee View Post
I have been on Synthorid for almost three years. My numbers show I am stablized, but I honestly don't feel any better. I never had issues with weight until about a month AFTER starting Synthroid, now I fight my weight it on a daily basis, despite a low calorie/fat diet and almost daily intense exercise. I have heard that some people do indeed get good results, I just am not one of them.
Ask for Armour You will notice a big difference!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
(female)

btamilee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartinfarm View Post
Ask for Armour You will notice a big difference!
My doctor will not change my prescription to Armour. She does not believe that it is *stable* enough. I would love to give it a try, but the only way that will happen is if I switch doctors, and there doesn't seem to be anyone in my area that I have heard will prescribe Armour. I have only found one pharmacy that even carries it, and they are often on backorder.

Closed Thread