It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

mark90 HB User
Blood test 'normal' but thyroid symptoms?

Good evening all,

I've posted a few times asking for help on other forums but I believe that I may have finally 'resolved' my ongoing (5+ years) problem.

Bit of a background; I am 22, eat well, exercise A LOT and generally stress-free. Since the beginning of 2007, I have experienced the following symptoms; nervousness/irritability, excessive sweating, constantly tired, muscle ache, receding hairline (annoying!), shortness of breathe, clammy skin and heart palpitations.

Had a blood test back in May 2010 and everything came back 'normal'. Recently, anxiety attacks have been getting so bad I went to see the doc again. He has told me that I need to see a psychiatrist because 'like many people my own age, you are not relaxed'. I do not doubt that, as I cannot relax with the symptoms that I have. What on earth do I do?

Managed to persuade him to give me blood tests this week so that is good but I fear that they will come back 'normal' again!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Blood test 'normal' but thyroid symptoms?

Thyroid blood levels in the normal range do not necessarily mean they are YOUR normal.

Please post your lab results when you get them and be sure to list the ranges for each result since they can vary from lab to lab and by geographical area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

mark90 HB User

Hi cd37,

I've never seen or requested my lab results before. Do I just simply request these results?

I note that in a previous thread (the one below this one), there is a discussion about the test performed. Should I ask about this too?

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

In the US, we are legally entitled to our results. I am aware of many thyroid forum members in the UK that ask for results and get them.

I looked at one of your posts on another health section here....based upon the additional symptoms listed there, I can understand why you think you might have a thyroid issue.

To check thyroid function, you would want to get the FreeT4 test (sometimes listed as "thyroxine, free, direct) and the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).....these are the bare minimum. If you can also get the FreeT3 (Tri-iodothyronine, free, serum) that would be great but it doesn't seem the Royal College of Physicians sees merit in this test.

If your FreeT4 (and/or FreeT3) level is close to the top or the bottom of the normal ranges, you could very well have a thyroid issue.

Additional blood work could be run to confirm the cause (autoimmune, most often) but, at the end of the day, the treatment would be the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
mark90 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Forgot to mention, since the thyroid interacts with virtually every body system, a malfunctioning thyroid can cause a myriad of symptoms.

I will admit that, the first time I hear about symptoms such as yours, I do think of thyroid only because I've had so many of those same symptoms before being properly medicated.

Since I am fortunate in the fact that I do not have any other diseases, I am not really aware of symptoms associated with too many other diseases.

At the end of the day, you might not have thyroid issues but your labs will definitely let you know....and I'll gladly help you interpret them because I DO know thyroid disease very well due to ongoing research since June 2007.

Last edited by cd37; 02-12-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typos

The following user gives a hug of support to cd37:
mark90 (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
(male)

mark90 HB User

Appreciate your advice and concern HUGELY!

Everyone I speak to dismisses my symptoms - The problem is that I just get on with my life and put up a front. I even feel like a nuisance going to the doc! Of course, this cannot go on forever.

I did question how they determined individual results 'normal'. He couldn't really answer that and was aiming more towards the psychological nonsense. He even had the cheek to pat me on the back and say in a quiet, disheartening voice "Don't worry. We are going to get you sorted out"...!

Well, the blood test is with the nurse on Wednesday. Shall I request them then or when I see my doc at a later appointment? Also, if it is thyroid, is there anything that I can do now to lessen the symptoms?

Again, much appreciated.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark90 View Post
Appreciate your advice and concern HUGELY!

Everyone I speak to dismisses my symptoms - The problem is that I just get on with my life and put up a front. I even feel like a nuisance going to the doc! Of course, this cannot go on forever.

I did question how they determined individual results 'normal'. He couldn't really answer that and was aiming more towards the psychological nonsense. He even had the cheek to pat me on the back and say in a quiet, disheartening voice "Don't worry. We are going to get you sorted out"...!

Well, the blood test is with the nurse on Wednesday. Shall I request them then or when I see my doc at a later appointment? Also, if it is thyroid, is there anything that I can do now to lessen the symptoms?

Again, much appreciated.
I can only imagine how difficult things have been for you. While I'm not saying you definitely have thyroid disease, I have read way too many stories of people on thyroid forums that went from doctor to doctor, getting diagnosed and treated for diseases they didn't have....all because no doctor thought to check the thyroid or, if they did think to check the thyroid, they misinterpreted the results.

I would ask the nurse and, even if she can't give the labs to you, she could record your request....and I would definitely get a copy from your doctor when you see him/her.

Sorry to say, without seeing your labs, I don't dare offer up suggestions for things that can affect your thyroid levels. If your symptoms are being caused by your thyroid, that means your thyroid is over-producing hormones or under-producing hormones....what might be good for an over-producing thyroid certainly wouldn't be good for an under-producing thyroid.

The only thing I can definitely tell you is to avoid soy which wreaks havoc with thyroid function in general.

Let's see those labs when you get them - they will tell a lot.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
(male)

mark90 HB User

Thanks for your response again.

I'm in such a need to get fixed now; I cannot cope with it anymore. I got a bit angry today and through a glass bottle of whiskey at my wall. Quite extreme but shows how ridiculous my moods are getting.

Call me negative but I cannot think that the Doc will be of much use with the blood tests. It's going to be tricky getting it sorted out, especially after what I have read about the UK being more difficult to diagnose than the US!

How did sufferers of similar symptoms deal with this pre-medication?!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Unfortunately, people took a bunch of meds to address the various symptoms....anti-anxiety pills, blood pressure pills, anti-depressants, laxatives, pain/anti-inflammatory pills, allergy pills....and they slept a lot

Once you get your lab results, we'll be able to figure out whether or not you have a thyroid problem....if you do, and depending on what type of thyroid disease you have, I can recommend several books written by doctors that should help you get the treatment you need.

Closed Thread