It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

day1234 HB User
Question Just Diagnosed with Hashimoto's

Hi all,
It would probably help if I start with some background. Back in 2008 my Dr told me to get my blood tested to see if I have an under-active thyroid. It turned out my TSH was around 5. The Dr put me on Synthroid and I didn't like the side effects so I stopped taking it (w/o telling the Dr). I thought the Dr was nuts anyway because I am not a bigger person. I am 5'1 and at my heaviest 115. I have always been tired so that's nothing new to me. I have also dealt with depression since at least 2003 but I never thought much of that.
Anyway, back in Nov I went to my new primary Dr and she really got on me about my thyroid. I guess she scared me enough so I listened and had the blood test; this time my TSH was slightly above 6. The primary Dr referred me to an Endo who also did a lot of blood work. Yesterday I followed up with the Enod for the results of my blood work and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (anti-thyroid Peroxidase AB was 256). I told her my issues with Synthroid so she prescribed me Levoxyl 50mcg. I started it today but I am pretty nervous about the side effects especially since both are Levothyroxine.
With Synthroid my skin started to have a weird smell and I gained weight even though I did not change my diet. Has anyone else experience anything like this? What have your experiences been with Levoxyl? Also, are there any diet or life style changes I can make to help this?
Also, I'm a bit curious of how far my Hashimoto's is. In addition to the issues listed above over the last couple of years I have also experienced an even tougher time keeping my weight down, bloating easily, really long and heavy periods, and what I call a "foggy brain" - it's like I am paying attention but my brain doesn't register the info. I thought the foggy brain issue was because I am studying for my CPA exams but now I'm wondering if its from the Hashimoto's.
I'm really sorry for such a long post. I am just confused and worried. Any input of experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed with Hashimoto's

Hashimoto's causes thyroid destruction so you can expect your thyroid function to diminish over time.

There are no side effects to Synthroid or any T4 med (like Levoxyl, the generic levothyroxine) - you might experience symptoms as you titrate up on the dose since your body is adjusting to better thyroid hormone levels.

Very often, when people are first diagnosed, they become more aware of symptoms...and, most likely, they are hypo symptoms. So, when they start meds, they think the hypo symptoms they're finally noticing are side effects.

These symptoms you mention: "tougher time keeping my weight down, bloating easily, really long and heavy periods, and what I call a "foggy brain" - it's like I am paying attention but my brain doesn't register the info" are all symptoms of hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's).

Basically, you'll want to follow a balanced, healthy diet and be sure to eat every 4-5 hours to keep your body functioning smoothly.

You just might want to consider researching meds/diagnoses before stopping any meds a doctor prescribes for you - there are dangerous implications in stopping certain meds.

Last edited by cd37; 02-16-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typos

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

redion HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed with Hashimoto's

Once I found out I had Hashimoto's and started taking Synthroid I realized how many symptoms I had that I thought were part of aging or peri-menopause. I had irregular periods, really, extreme foggy brain to the point i worried about Alzheimer's, I had gained 20lbs in 4 months and I was tired, had strange aches and pains. The Synthroid really did take a lot of that away and make me feel back to myself and a lot sharper mentally. I would recommend taking it to bring your TSH down and you will most likely feel better.

Closed Thread