It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and Sleep

Forgot to mention....now that you've described your heart beat issue a little more - I would call it a "pounding heart" (heavy heart beat)....not to be confused with "racy heart".

The "beating more strongly at bedtime" is a hypo symptom.

A heavy heart beat is a hypo symptom.....although palpitations (racy, fast heart beat) can be either hypo or hyper.

It's the sustained elevated heart rate at rest (like 100 bpm) that is hyper.

You'll want to clarify this stuff before sharing with your doctor - many doctors are not aware of these subtleties.

Also, you can verify your own heart rate.....when at rest, take your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 - that is your heart rate.

Check online (reputable site like Mayo Clinic or *****) for average heart rates for your age - voila!

You will benefit greatly if you are proactive with your health - especially your thyroid care.

Last edited by cd37; 02-21-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typos

Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd37 View Post
The "beating more strongly at bedtime" is a hypo symptom.
This can be a sign of going towards hyperT too - I've had it and many people I know have it when the dose is a bit too high. My resting heart rate doesn't have to go up more than like 10 bpm when it already becomes uncomfortable and tells me (along with other symptoms that I most likely have) to decrease the dose a bit - but just a bit

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-21-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
This can be a sign of going towards hyperT too - I've had and many people I know have it when the dose is a bit too high. My resting heart rate doesn't have to go up more than like 10 bpm when it already becomes uncomfortable and tells me (along with other symptoms that I most likely have) to decrease the dose a bit - but just a bit
I will take your word for it, FinnMaid

The only time I ever really had hyper symptoms was before I was Dx'd with Graves'....the hyper symptoms were so mild that I thought they were due to stress, perimenopause and/or allergies.

Ever since then, I have been either fighting with doctors to let my levels go higher or, currently, talking my doctor into it .

Obviously, each of us needs to be "in-tune" with our body and the tell-tale symptoms.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I think you can have different symptoms when you're "naturally hyperT" and when you're "medically hyperT" so it can get a bit confusing (it has been for me too ).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-21-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

Thank you for your replies, I relax a bit more now that I know the beating of my heart is/could be a hypo symptom. There are so many many possible symptoms I find more everyday.

At the moment I'm looking for a website that has detailed information on hypothyrodism that is uptodate (2005 onwards). I've found a lot of websites with general or basic information, some that are out of date and some that are very medical for doctors etc only.

Is there anywhere you would recommend?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

We're not allowed to recommend websites or provide links to them on this board.

You just might try some creative Googling.....I found "pathetic list of hypothyroid symptoms" got me one of the most comprehensive lists out there....yet there are many more symptoms that I've read on lists compiled by other hypothyroidism boards.

Since the thyroid interacts with every body system on a cellular level, it makes sense to know that it's "whole-body effect" can cause a myriad of symptoms.....when hypothyroid, it's a general (and sometimes drastic) slowing down of body systems...and the effects of the slowdown.

Last edited by cd37; 02-21-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
Alexandra23 (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

Thank you that's a good list, one I'd seen when I looked the very first time but could never find again when I tried to, so extra thanks.

Through some more searching I've hit on a useful Google term. "Checklist" in combination with thyroid, hypothyroid etc. seems to work well.

On a UK site there is a checklist where it gives not just brittle and dry nails as a symptom but soft nails too. I like this personally because the nails on my hands are soft but my toe nails have become brittle over the past few years. So I have both at the same time!

The symptom lists were a bit overwhelming for me at first but now I find them useful. I've had depression for many years (caused? made worse? by hypothyroidism) and many of the symptoms are the same. But by reading these lists I'm going to point out to my doctor some of the symptoms I have that are not shared by depression.

For example I noticed last autumn my tongue seemed bigger in my mouth, I didn't mention it to anyone, it just seemed odd. Now I know it's a symptom of hypothyroidism and not one I've ever heard of with depression so I will definitely mention it and others to my doctor to make sure she is aware of it.

Last edited by Alexandra23; 02-22-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
(female)

redbluefish HB User

I just started NatureThroid 2 weeks ago and have had the best sleep I've experienced in years. I messed around with synthetics for a year and half because I'm a vegetarian and didn't want to take natural thyroid. I only switched in desperation and noticed a difference within hours of taking my first dose of NatureThroid. I still haven't found my optimal dose, but life is so much better.

I really, really feel badly for you and anyone else going through the insomnia. I was at the breaking point because I was so fatigued and yet, unable to sleep at the same time. I was awake at 3 and 4 am every night.

Closed Thread