It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

tbop HB User
Thyroid Peroxidase ABS Antibodies

My 21 daughter started with a new family Dr. and went for a physical. Dr. ran blood test and T3Total, T4, and TSH which all came out normal except for the TPO. It was at 102 H, normal is 0-60. She said something is attacking her thyroid and recommended based on her discussion of symptoms with my daughter to try 50 mcg of Synthroid.

My daughter has been labeled ADHD, or "chemical imbalance". She is now doing great without any medication except for birth control pill Yasmin. She does have a tendency to easily put on weight for no reason. She is about 10 lbs overweight her entire teenage life.

I (mother) have a goiter with nodules and currently taking synthyoid. Medication has been great for me.

I'm hesitate to start her on medication because I feel I don't have enough information on what this is all about. I started her on kelp pills. Any recommendations?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Thyroid Peroxidase ABS Antibodies

High TPOAb means she has Hashimoto' thyroiditis which is the most common cause for hypothyroidism - her body is attacking her thyroid and she will eventually go hypoT. Taking extra iodine (kelp) is not adviceable because it can aggravate this autoimmune reaction. What were her levels exactly? She would most likely benefit from medication - "gaining weight for no reason" sounds like hypoT to me.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

tbop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
High TPOAb means she has Hashimoto' thyroiditis which is the most common cause for hypothyroidism - her body is attacking her thyroid and she will eventually go hypoT. Taking extra iodine (kelp) is not adviceable because it can aggravate this autoimmune reaction. What were her levels exactly? She would most likely benefit from medication - "gaining weight for no reason" sounds like hypoT to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
(female)

tbop HB User

Thanks for your response. Her T3 Total is 155.1, T4 11.1, TSH 1.046 and Thyroid Peroxidase ABS TPO is 102.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Are both of these Ts "total" Ts? If that T4 is actually freeT4 please post the reference range for it - FT4 is usually the most useful when looking for hypoT. Always have free thyroid levels checked - those total ones are inaccurate. Were these labs taken early in the morning?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
(female)

tbop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Are both of these Ts "total" Ts? If that T4 is actually freeT4 please post the reference range for it - FT4 is usually the most useful when looking for hypoT. Always have free thyroid levels checked - those total ones are inaccurate. Were these labs taken early in the morning?
The only "total" was T3. Blood taken in the morning, but she was dehydrated. They had a hard time getting to her vein, finally from her hand. She did have 1 beer 18 hours earlier. The test also didn't include anti thyroid globulin anitbody test. She also takes Ocella, generic for Yasmin birth control pill.

I did have my endrocronologist take a look at the labs and he suggested a re-take in 6 months and nothing to treat as of yet. Family Dr. suggested a re-take in 3 months. When we do re-take, I want to make sure they have the correct testing done.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbop View Post
I did have my endrocronologist take a look at the labs and he suggested a re-take in 6 months and nothing to treat as of yet. Family Dr. suggested a re-take in 3 months. When we do re-take, I want to make sure they have the correct testing done.
Testing after 3 months is good - maybe sooner if symptoms develop. She needs to get TSH, FT4 and possibly FT3 tested. Once you get the results we'll be happy to have a look at them and help you interpret them when you post the reference ranges too .

The following user gives a hug of support to FinnMaid:
tbop (02-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
tbop (02-24-2011)
Closed Thread