It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User
My TSH was 6.23, could I be hypo?

I've been having some weird symptoms for the past 6 months. Weight gain only around the belly area, hair shedding, extreme fatigue, acne. I had my thyroid tested 6 months ago and was about 5.11. Doc said all those symptoms I was having wouldn't be related to thyroid. She said normal is .5 to 5.0. I had it tested again 2 months ago and she never called me back so I assume it was around the same. I had mine tested again a few days ago and mine is now at 6.23. The second doc said that they usually don't treat unless level is 10 +. He did also test t4 and it was in the normal range but on the lower side. He did one more blood test yesterday the t3, so we will see how that shows! He said if its low then he will treat me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: My TSH was 6.23, could I be hypo?

A TSH of 6.23 with "lower end" FT4 and hypoT symptoms is definately HypoT. If you were fine your TSH would most like be around 1 (or 2 tops) and your FT4 around midrange or higher (and you'd have no symptoms ). FT3 is usually "the last to drop" so hopefully your doc won't put too much emphasis on the FT3 result (if it's well within range). If your doc is not willing to treat because of the T3 result ask them to check thyroid antibodies which usually reveal Hashimoto's thyroiditis - the most common cause for hypoT - it may help you get meds.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

regime HB User

Thanks for your reply. Actually he said he was doing some antibody test as well in addition to the T3! That's probably the test you mentioned! He said it would determine is some autoammune something is attacking my thyroid! We shall see what he says!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regime View Post
Actually he said he was doing some antibody test as well in addition to the T3! That's probably the test you mentioned! He said it would determine is some autoammune something is attacking my thyroid!
Oh yes Keep us posted

Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(female)

Alexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB UserAlexandra23 HB User

In the US I think the TSH range for normal was changed in 2003 from 0.5 -5.0 to 0.3 to 3.0. In the UK high TSH changed in 2006 from >5 to >10, in Australia I read it's >3.5, I don't know about Canada.

So in different countries with your TSH you would be treated differently.

In the UK I know there are a lot of people who don't agree with the change to >10. I think it's crazy too. The reason the US lowered it was:

Quote:
Until November 2002, doctors had relied on a normal TSH level ranging from 0.5 to 5.0 to diagnose and treat patients with a thyroid disorder who tested outside the boundaries of that range5 . Now AACE encourages doctors to consider treatment for patients who test outside the boundaries of a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.04. AACE believes the new range will result in proper diagnosis for millions of Americans who suffer from a mild thyroid disorder, but have gone untreated until now.
I think your doctor should treat your symptoms not just rely on the TSH blood test results. I'm glad you're getting other tests too. You may have something else wrong with you but if you're doctor doesn't find anything else then I suggest you ask for a "theraputic trial" of thyroid treatment to see if it helps.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
(female)

Jodles HB User

I have just been put on meds as my TSH level went from 4 to 6 in a year and the levels here in OZ are 3-3.5 so your level is absolutely up there for meds and I have never felt better!!! Made me realise how bad i was with fatigue. I would change dr.s.

Closed Thread