It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

odar HB User
New to forum - and Armour

Hi all - my problem probably started 10-15 years ago but I thought I was just getting older a bit more stress so put everything that was happening to me to that - my doc then presribe me thyroxine 50mg and I have been on that dosage ever since. Fast forward 15 years later - I have about half the hair on my head I used to have! My elbows are really dark - and very very dry -have gained closed to 20lbs in the last year and am very tired and depressed. Went to see a holistic GP who prescribe armour 60mg x 2 a day am and mid afternoon. I have been on these capsules for a about a week now - but feel no different. He also gave me hysone - 20 mg for adrenal failure. Can anyone tell me how long before energy levels pick up? And when will my hair start to grow back... also how long before you actually begin to lose weight? do you have to go on a special diet?? The doc that I saw put me on a vitamin c flush diet then a 1 week diet and then a lifelong diet.. all to combat adrenal failure and support adrenal and thyroid... anyone hear of this?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: New to forum - and Armour

It's unrealistic to expect huge changes in the way you feel after just one week. The thyroid hormone you take in pill form needs time to build in your system and work actively for you. It isn't an instant fix like aspirin for a headache.

The 120 mgs of Armour/day is quite a big increase in dose from 50 mcgs of thyroxine. In terms of relative strength, you've in effect quadrupled your dose! That's often a bad move to do... It would have been better to start with at least half that dose and gradually titrate upward until symptoms are relieved.

I hope it works out ok and you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
odar (03-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

odar HB User
Re: New to forum - and Armour

Thanks Midwest1 my doc actually prescribe that dosage as he felt I was not properly medicated in the first instance... its been 7 days now and am just starting to feel a tiny bit better. Just hope that my hair will stop falling out soon and maybe even start to grow back! My adrenals have also failed so he has put me on 10mg of Hysone (Hydro cortisone)... am hoping I will be able to lose all this extra weight that I've put on in the last six months!

Closed Thread