It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

ebya HB User
Thyroid Test Result Help

I just got my test results and I need some help understanding them please

1) Thyroglobulin, Qn <0.5 LOW
2) Antithyroglobulin Ab 400 HIGH
3) Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S 1.38 Normal
4) TSH 4.550 in the BORDER
5) Prolactin 8.2 Normal
6) Thyroxine (T4) 10 Normal
7) Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 191 HIGH
8) Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum (I believe this is T3) 2.9 Normal

Anybody can make sense out of this?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Thyroid Test Result Help

Your #2 and #7 lab results indicate autoimmune thyroid disease. The first result shows no signs of thyroid cancer.

I can't speak for the prolactin result.

Your TSH indicates hypothyroidism (while your level is in the "normal" range, the ranges were changed back in 2002 to .3 - 3.0....many labs have not updated their ranges. TSH greater than 2.0 is suspect for hypothyroidism)

The rest of your results are all thyroid hormone levels and I suspect they indicate hypothyroidism *but* I can't comment on the other results without seeing the ranges for each level.

Last edited by cd37; 03-02-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

ebya HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I makes more sense to me now. I am seeing the doctor in a week so hopefully he will explain me more and tell me my options. These are the ranges that they gave to me (limits):

1) 0.5 - 55.0
2) 0 - 40
3) 0.82 - 1.77
4) 0.450 - 4.500
5) 4.8 - 23.3
6) 4.5 - 12.0
7) 0 - 34
8) 2.0 - 4.4

I hope these were what you were talking about.

Thanks so much

Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Yes, these are what I was talking about - thanks!

OK, I've already mentioned most of the tests - the most important thyroid tests you had done were the FreeT4 and FreeT3 - those are the tests ANY thyroid-savvy doctor should run since they tell us what is actually going on with the thyroid.

Most healthy people have FreeT4 levels that are towards the top end of the range...in your case, that would be 1.77. Your ranges are the same as my lab's ranges - I feel best with my FreeT4 around 1.7. You can see how low yours is in comparison.

Now, most healthy people have FreeT3 levels at mid-range, at least - if not higher. Based upon your lab's ranges, mid-range would be 3.2 (you add the low number in the range (2.0) to the high number in the range (4.4) and divide the sum by 2)
And, yes, the triiodothyronine, free, serum is FreeT3.

Your FreeT3 level is below mid-range....just a few points but that can make a world of a difference. I feel best with my FreeT3 level at 3.7 minimum.

Having thyroid hormone levels that are too low for the body's needs will bring on the symptoms you're experiencing.

Couple your symptoms with your below-mid-range thyroid hormone levels and you definitely have hypothyroidism.

You might want to ask your doctor for a trial run of levothyroxine to see if you feel better.

Last edited by cd37; 03-02-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typos

Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Me again

You just might want to read one/all of the following books so you'll understand how you can be hypothyroid with levels in the "normal" range......the books will explain that, while your levels are in the "normal" range, they might not be YOUR normal - this is confirmed by the symptoms you're having.

Anyhooo - here are some great books:

"Thyroid for Dummies" by endo Dr. Alan Rubin
"What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism" by endo Dr. Ken Blanchard
"The Thyroid Solution" by endo Dr. Ridha Arem

Please let us know how things go with the doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
Alexandra23 (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

ebya HB User

Thank you sooo much for taking the time and writing all the info you put in for me. I really do appreciate it a lot. I am definitely going to check out the books you recommended. It looks like I need to learn a lot about this condition and I can use any sources that are out there. I am currently honestly only experiencing irregular periods and I am trying to conceive and I am actually in touch with fertility doctor now and he was the one recommended me to get these tests done and I am very happy that he did because now we know what we are dealing with and hopefully he can guide me in the way of getting pregnant and become a mommy

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks again so much for everything.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I'm more than happy to help - I am here to pay forward all the help I've received on thyroid forums since 2007.

It will be in your best interest to understand your condition and be proactive with your care. Even though hypothyroidism is VERY common, doctors just don't seem to know how to adequately treat for it.

I bet if you Googled hypothyroid symptoms, you will find you have more than you realize.

A successful pregnancy requires FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels to be towards the top end of the range....and thyroid hormone requirements increase as pregnancy advances. What this means is, a pregnant hypothyroid woman will need increasingly larger doses of thyroid hormone replacement meds as she progresses through her pregnancy.

Since it takes 4-6 wks. for a dose to "show its stuff", you really need to be on top of things re your dosing.

Many people think endos would be the appropriate type of doctor to see for thyroid care since the thyroid IS part of the endocrine system. However, endos are in short supply and most of them care for the ever-increasing population of diabetics....and they are significantly lacking in thyroid care skills.

I "went through" 3 endos and gave up on them as a specialty. I found a "with-it" internist who provides thyroid care for me. It was as a result of my efforts that I found my optimal levels within the ranges of normal and my doctor supports me with dosing decisions.

You might want to talk to your fertility doctor - there's a chance he'd be great for managing your thyroid during your pregnancy.

I do recommend you working with your doctor and get your thyroid hormone levels up towards the top end of the ranges before you try becoming pregnant....you will need to be patient since it can take awhile to titrate up on the dose....but it is entirely possible to have a successful pregnancy if you are properly medicated.

Please know that thyroid hormone replacement meds are perfectly safe for pregnancy and nursing - you are replacing hormones that the body isn't adequately producing.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Last edited by cd37; 03-02-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: tupos

Old 03-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
(female)

ebya HB User

You are really very kind. I think you are very right, I need to educate myself more about this condition and learn my body and see whats the best for me. And as you said, if I google it and start to gather more information, I will probably find out more symptoms. About pregnancy, I am not in a rush and from what I am hearing from you, I really would rather wait and do things right then trying to pressure myself and go through it when my body was not ready for it. Probably going to a fertility doctor was the best decision I made since he can help me through this process. I will give you an update on wednesday after I talk to him.

Thanks again for everything

Old 03-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

As I said, I'm happy to help - I wouldn't be where I am now, feeling great with thyroid disease, if I didn't research extensively and participate on thyroid forums. Doctors just don't have the time nor inclination, it seems, to do the "finetuning" that is necessary to optimize our condition.

Glad to hear you're not in a rush for pregnancy - if your thyroid hormone levels aren't optimized, there are difficulties conceiving....and there is a risk of miscarriage.....think about it, when the body is hypothyroid, EVERYthing is moving in slow-motion.

I'll look forward to hearing from you after you see your doctor - VERY happy for you that you already took this step - he does seem "up" on things. (I would hope a fertility doctor would recognize the impact that out-of-whack thyroid levels would have on fertility/pregnancy)

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
(female)

ebya HB User

Sooo instead of wednesday, I went to see the dr today. They had a cancellation.

The dr put me on synthroid 50mcg and he was very nice and optimistic. He believes that we caught it right on time and my levels supposedly were not that bad to get in control so he put me on a low dose. He told me to wait for a week and then take provera to induce my period. And once I have it, they going to have an U/S and then put me on clomid to induce ovulation. And also in 30 days, they going to take a blood test again to see if the meds are good dose for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

That is great news!!!! SO happy to hear you have a "with-it" doctor!!!

Many of us have had to see a succession of doctors before finding one that recognizes hypothyroidism and knows how to treat for it.

Please keep us posted

Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
(female)

ebya HB User

Thanks so much. I sure will keep you posted

Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
(female)

nupur12 HB User

Note the level of your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). At most labs in the U.S., up until late 2002, the normal range is from around 0.5 to 5.5. That range changed to .3 to 3 as of early 2003.
If the TSH level is below normal, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)
If the TSH level is above normal, your doctor may determine that you are hypothyroid (underactive thyroid.)
If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a low TSH, your doctor might look into a pituitary problem.
If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was less than 0.7, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was less than 80, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was less than 2.3, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, make sure you ask for an antibodies test. Some doctors believe in treating thyroid symptoms in the presence of elevated antibodies and normal TSH levels.
If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, consider going to a reputable holistic M.D. or alternative physician for further interpretation and diagnosis.

Closed Thread