It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

meadow555 HB User
Hyperthyroidism and lab results interpretation?

What do my lab results mean for my thyroid panel? I don't have Grave's from looking at my Anti-TPO AB. They didn't do a TPI.

TSH 0.049 0.3-3.0 range (Hyperthyroidism)
Free T3 4.5 2.1-4.7 range
Free T4 1.30 0.89-1.76 range
Anti-TPO AB <10 0.0-35.0 range

I am scared to have a I-123 test because of family allergies to the dye.
I am not postpartum and I don't take any sort of thyroid medication. I had a TSH test 1 week before this test and that TSH was 0.065.

I have some other lab results that are off also from the first TSH. slightly elevated AST, Bilirubin and Bicarbonate. Slightly low urea nitrogen. HDL is low and cholesterol is on the low side of normal.

What can you tell from my thyroid panel aside from me being hyperthyroid?

I am anxious, nervous, want to cry all daily, low energy, GAINED 10 lbs, no appetite, insomnia, shorter/lighter periods, and infertility.

Any help is greatly appreciated. All this is so confusing on the recommendations for hyperthyroid stuff it seems to get confused with hypo pretty frequently.

The following user gives a hug of support to meadow555:
brianna240 (04-13-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism and lab results interpretation?

Since your thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4/FreeT3) are in-range yet your TSH is below range, you would be considered to have subclinical hyperthyroidism.

Your other bloodwork is consistent with someone that has subclinical hyperthyroidism.

You wouldn't want to take any anti-thyroid drugs because they would lower the thyroid hormone levels down a LOT and cause you to have hypothyroid symptoms (and levels)

In your case, most knowledgable doctors would Rx a beta-blocker such as propranolol....it will help ease symptoms and can actually cause the FreeT3 level to drop down a bit.

The FreeT3 level is most often responsible for symptoms so, with yours being high in the range, lowering it down a bit should help.

Your FreeT4 level is in a very good place - in fact, many people would need it to be a little higher.

There is absolutely no need to have the I-131 scan done - it is really an obsolete test and the same information can be obtained from bloodwork and a thyroid ultrasound.

Better to have a TSI blood test (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) to confirm or rule out Graves'....and the ultrasound to check thyroid condition, including possible presence of nodules (which could then have a FNA biopsy if suspicious)

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
meadow555 (03-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism and lab results interpretation?

Since your thyroid hormone levels (FreeT4/FreeT3) are in-range yet your TSH is below range, you would be considered to have subclinical hyperthyroidism.

Your other bloodwork is consistent with someone that has subclinical hyperthyroidism.

You wouldn't want to take any anti-thyroid drugs because they would lower the thyroid hormone levels down a LOT and cause you to have hypothyroid symptoms (and levels)

In your case, most knowledgable doctors would Rx a beta-blocker such as propranolol....it will help ease symptoms and can actually cause the FreeT3 level to drop down a bit.

The FreeT3 level is most often responsible for symptoms so, with yours being high in the range, lowering it down a bit should help.

Your FreeT4 level is in a very good place - in fact, many people would need it to be a little higher.

There is absolutely no need to have the I-131 scan done - it is really an obsolete test and the same information can be obtained from bloodwork and a thyroid ultrasound.

Better to have a TSI blood test (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) to confirm or rule out Graves'....and the ultrasound to check thyroid condition, including possible presence of nodules (which could then have a FNA biopsy if suspicious)

Just so you know, the Anti-TPOab test does not confirm Graves' - it is a marker of thyroid inflammation and most people with autoimmune thyroid disease will have elevated levels. I have Graves' disease and never had positive results until most recently....and that can happen to anyone of advancing age (ugh - lol)

Closed Thread