It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

Leslie Denoff HB User
post subtotal thyroidectomy hair loss

Hi, i have just had a bilateral subtotal thyroidectomy, on Feb 1, 2011. I've not yet been prescribed Thyroid Replacement Hormone, but i expect to be, tomorrow. Immediately post op, my hair began to come out when i brushed it, and has gained speed in it's departure, drastically. I've always had waist length, healthy, beautiful hair, and for me, losing my hair is both devastating, and frightening. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced this, and want to know if the TRH will slow or halt this. Also any Medics, (Doctors or Nurses or P.A's) who can provide me with some information as to what to expect in this situation, and anything I can do to help myself recover. Thank you very much. Desperate American in English NHS system! Leslie

Last edited by Leslie Denoff; 03-03-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: p.s. The reason i had to have this op, was intractable thyrotoxicosis, with nodular thyroid, neutropenia sepsis in Dec 2010

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: post subtotal thyroidectomy hair loss

Usually, surgery patients are started on replacement meds before they even leave the hospital - think about it, you no longer have a thyroid to produce those vital thyroid hormones that fuel every bodily system.

Hair loss is one of many symptoms of thyroid hormone levels that are too low.

You should have NO symptoms if you are properly medicated with thyroid hormone replacement meds.

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
Leslie Denoff (03-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

Leslie Denoff HB User
Re: post subtotal thyroidectomy hair loss

Dear cd37, thank you for trying to answer my question. I have a medical backround, and understand the functions of the thyroid, and also most of the ramifications of having had the surgery i did. I also know my consultant SHOULD have started the Synthroid, prior to my discharge, especially since i was in patient for 5 days. He had ample time to get panels analyzed, but the theory we were operating on, was that hopefully, the small bit of thyroid tissue that he left in, would begin to produce enough hormone, thus leaving me free of the need to take the TRT. However, its now clear that this has not occurred, and that little or no hormone is being produced. The main problem is, no one has been able to draw any blood, since i was discharged. 2 doctors and a nurse tried today, but were not able to get a vein, and my G.P is refusing to prescribe the TRT until he sees blood panel results. By Monday, if things keep on at this rate, i shall be bald! What my question was, really, had anyone had RAPID hair loss post op, for the same surgery and dx that i had, and if so, did the thyroxine stop their hair falling out? Since last Monday, i'd say 40 to 60 percent of my beautiful, below waist length hair, has fallen out at the roots, and i am devastated. Pls, if anyone has any personal experience with this, pls let me know what has happened after the HRT was started. Ok, thanks again to the 1st lady who replied. Desperate American in England's NHS system. Leslie

Closed Thread