It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

tigerlily88 HB User
Am I hypothyroid???

Needing advice!!!

I am so unbelievably frustrated with my doctor!!! I feel like she is not hearing a word I say. She is so interested in treating each specific symptom rather than taking a step back to look at the bigger picture.

I believe that I have hypothyroid. It runs very prominent in my family (my mom, dad, brother, grandma,cousins, etc... etc) Any how, my TSH levels at my current doc office are a 2.84 and for my FT4 was .95 ... however, I do work in a lab as a phlebotomist and had them draw my blood the other day and my reading for a TSH was 4.74 and my reading for my FT4 was a .9! My doctor is so worried about giving me migraine meds for my headache... antidepressants for my irritability and anxiety.... iron since I am anemic and my ferritin is a 3.7... cholesterol med for my high cholesterol readings and birthcontrol for my heavy periods!!!

I am furious!!! She keeps telling me that I am worrying for nothing and that there is nothing wrong at all with my thyroid because they fall within "normal range" .... I feel so frustrated and ignored! I am very concerned and feel as if I have no choice because I have an HMO.

Am I being a hypochondriac or aren't these ALL symptoms of "hypo"?... I also have the chronic fatigue and no energy... she keeps on telling me that I depressed. BTW- I have had these symptoms for 7+ years now and I am tired of treating the symptoms that do not improve...I want a diagnosis!

Any suggestions??? Please help me, be honest... I need some advice! I feel like I am going crazy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Am I hypothyroid???

I had a doctor just like that. I don't have him anymore.
When he wouldn't diagnose what I knew to be hypoT, I took myself to an endo who was smart enough to know what it looks like when she sees it. (Not all endos do, though; I got lucky on only one try.) She gave me my diagnosis but wouldn't treat it with anything but Synthroid, which didn't agree with me. I had to see a third doc to get the right thyroid med for me.

You know in your heart what's wrong with you. I did too. Had to pursue it with more than one MD, though, and you may have to as well. HMOs are the pits, and I'm not sure what to tell you about coping with one. Isn't there an appeals process of some sort? If you truly have no choice, you'll have to try reasoning with the Immovable One. Ask her to humor you. Emphasize the family history. Point out how your FT4 is scraping the very bottom of its range. Tell her that you know that healthy people have TSH around 1, no higher than 2 (even if you didn't know before now). Ask for a 50 mcg trial of thyroid hormone to see if it helps with symptoms.
Ask - rather, insist - on thyroid antibodies tests, both TPO and Tg. Positive AB tests are enough to push some MDs into action. If she still won't budge, she's too stupid for words and doesn't deserve your business. Do whatever you have to do to get a consultation with someone else.

From what I know, the low ferritin is a common concomitant condition with hypoT, but it will still have to be treated with an iron supplement. I don't think treating the hypoT will reverse that without taking extra iron for a while... At least, until your periods become less heavy after optimal thyroid treatment!

Last edited by midwest1; 03-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
tigerlily88 (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

You have been given great advice.

I suggest you get a copy of "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism" by endo Dr. Ken Blanchard.

Besides telling you everything you need to know about hypothyroidism, he goes into depth about having "normal" labs that are not normal for YOU.

You might want to share the book with your doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
tigerlily88 (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

tigerlily88 HB User

Thanks so much to both of you!

I kept thinking maybe my doctor is right and I need to listen to her, but after reading many message boards on this site... doing research and speaking with many family member that do have hypothyroid... I am now quite positive that this is what I do in fact have. I am so tired of feeling crappy day after day.... I sent my doctor an e-mail yesterday and an LVN wrote me back instead of my primary.... they said maybe I need to seek psychiatric help... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I am so done!

I have since requested a doctors visit to get a second opinion. Where I work the lead chemistry lady who ran my labs has a thyroid problem as well... so I know she knows her stuff. When she got my results, she told me straight up... find a good doc that will listen to you and what your body is telling you. Hopefully, I can find one (fingers crossed)!! I am just tired of my primary doc pushing needless antidepressants and migraine meds that do not work!!! She is very pushy with wanting me to take birth control to help alleviate my menstrual cycle too.... I have told her no several times, but she is insisting that will help my problem. I told her there is no point because as soon as I stop taking it, the heavy periods will continue... plus I had a tubal ligation with my 3rd c-section and that was partly why I decided to do it, because I was tired of taking the pill!

It is very frustrating and I wish that more doctors were educated or would at least listen more closely to their patients. I know my body... in fact I am the one that requested her to run an iron studies panel on me because I felt as though my iron was low... and guess what I was right! My iron was severely low. I am still waiting for my Vit D results. She was supposed to include the thyroid antibodies test that I requested as well... well, she didn't. I feel like she "conveniently" forgot to add it to my lab work. I feel like I am in a ridiculous power struggle with her and like I am bothering her. She seemed offended too when I told her I had paperwork from my job that had the labs they ran on me. Oh well. I am annoyed beyond belief. I will ask her about the synthroid... my dad suggested the same. I will see what she says and if she is completely unwilling to work with me... then I will be on the look out for a new primary doc that will help me.

Thanks again for your opinions! I really appreciate it!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Unfortunately, your story is all-too-common. Couple this with some HMO doctors being "bound" to rules set by insurance companies and care can be severely lacking.

I've read way too many stories of people going from doctor to doctor being treated for symptoms and health issues (low iron, high BP/cholesterol, etc) rather than anything being done about the thyroid that is causing all these issues. Why? Because many doctors don't even think to check the thyroid and those that do, misinterpret the results.

There are doctors out there that "get" thyroid disease. My first 3 endos didn't "get it"....neither did my now-former GP of 20 years. I found a "with-it" doctor in the form of an internist.

What a world of a difference a doctor can make!

Don't give up - educate yourself and push for the proper care - it will be well worth your while.

Last edited by cd37; 03-05-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread