It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

Nerb43 HB User
What happens if I stop taking Synthroid totally after having had a total Throidectomy

Hi All,

I'm just curious about something. I'm a 48 yr. old female, healthy for the most part, but had a total Thyroidectomy approx 4 yrs. ago, and have been taking Synthroid (generic) (125mcg) since having my Thyroid removed.
What exactly would happen to my body (symptoms) if I were ever to stop taking the medicine?
I have no plans of abruptly stopping, but have simply just been curious about what happens to the body.

Thanks!
Appreciate all feedback!
Brenda

Last edited by Nerb43; 03-09-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelled thyroidectomy wrong

Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What happens if I stop taking Synthroid totally after having had a total Throidec

Don't even talk like that... It's frightening.
You would be generally miserable for some time, then you would die. That sounds abrupt, but those are the facts. A body that has no capability of making thyroid hormone and receives none in pill form shortly progresses to and succumbs from myxedema coma.

Check our list of hypothyroid symptoms shown in our "Information Archive" sticky thread. Your particular set of symptoms wouldn't necessarily be the same as any other person's. They would probably start out rather mild and then become severe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: What happens if I stop taking Synthroid totally after having had a total Throidec

I asked my surgeon about this when I had my surgery. He said it would take a really long time to die......which made me feel better, because I used to be scared about what if I couldn't access my medicine in an emergency.

I've been without medicine for cancer treatment, it feels really terrible as the weeks go by, but because t4 stores and converts it takes a couple of weeks until you really feel it.

No need to try it.....but don't be frightened if you miss a dose or two.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

I worry, too. Not about not taking synthroid but about not having my thyroid removed because of an inconclusive whatever is on there. I am on iodine and supplements. I was even afraid of the iodine! It is a big mess between the doctors that only know synthetic meds/ and those that want to handle it nutritionally, holistically, naturally. (Sometimes when I am at my most crazy, I believe the surgeons were told to remove everyones thyroids no matter what to get rid of the evidence of our fluoride poisoning in our water. Sorry. I feel this is part of my thyroid/adrenal issue and all they want to do is cut out thyroid...give synthroid...I will be ok like the THOUSANDS of their other patients! What?!!? Thousands?)

You may even have a bit of adrenal fatigue but good luck having any type of md test for it. Only for Addisons. Only. Other than that? You're just nuts. I know about this. (Been tested for food allergies? They are usually hand in hand with thyroid probs - BIG TIME. Gluten? And, will the labs that make synthroid tell anyone if gluten is in there or not?? )

Anxiety is one of the symptoms of adrenal issues. I know. As well as salt cravings.

I know a woman that wrote a blog about HER issues: Thyroid Cancer and THREE RAI ablations and it kept coming back. She claims there is a Synthroid lie - she is on a natural thyroid and iodine *while going thru radiation which almost killed her (with two brand new babies! and she had to quit her job), she went to school to become an ND which she is now.

Ladybugsandbees is what I googled to find Stephanie Buist. She has alot of information and I would like to get my daughter off of Synthroid as soon as possible for her Hashi's, hypo, pcos, gluten intol etc etcetc. The doctors she has seen have pretty much handed her a script and never said a word.
Nerb - I would DEFINITELY try to find someone to get you OFF of that synthroid - syntheticthyroid - and onto Natur-throid or something similar. My daughter was on the generic form for years after her lobe was removed - in 2005. She went from 140 pounds to 210, acne, depression, mouth sores, etc. Up and down the dosage went until she finished school, got divorced, moved back home and I found her a doctor to take over.

She is on Synthroid AND cytomel and iodine protocol. She has lost some weight but the issues with pcos are overwhelming her. She is 25 years old. No children.

Me? Still waiting to hear from my very overpriced endo (the fourth in the group) on my blood work completed over two weeks ago. I don't see him until after another FNA - which I am just going to cancel--what's the point? So, I am getting ready to call his office pick up my tests and find a NEW doc. Maybe the one my daughter sees to treat my goiter and possible CANCER oh my. My daughter's was NOT cancer either. Surprise!!

I may just hire Stephanie. Good luck to you on your quest with your thyroid. I hope all gets settled for you.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

Nerb43 HB User

Thanks to all of you for the enlightening feedback. I appreciate all the info.
Nerb

Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

. Good luck to you on your quest with your thyroid. I hope all gets settled for you.[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread