It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

sjde HB User
How painful did you find the biopsy?

My sister is getting one and asked me how painful it was and I have trouble remembering--maybe it's like childbirth! I know I was concentrating on not swallowing and maybe that took my mind off it. I can't remember how long the needle was in. 30 seconds? They had told me to take ibuprofen ahead and I did. I had been worried because I'd had uterine biopsies and the ibuprofen didn't seem to help at all. Neither did the vicodin. I told myself if I ever needed another I'd take TWO vicodin! I think I remember the thyroid biopsy as painful but not unbearable--not as bad as the uterine biopsy.
My endo doesn't like using a numbing agent--said it makes the thyroid "angry"? But I wonder if something like valium or xanax--an anti-anxiety-- or vicodin would help. She usually takes pain worse than I do.

Sue

Sue

Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User
Re: How painful did you find the biopsy?

I took .5mg Xanax before my biopsy....just in case

The ENT used a numbing agent so I didn't feel pain - I felt pressure.

And, as he was pushing into my nodule, I could feel pressure further into my throat.

It was uncomfortable but, after having gone through labor and childbirth, I definitely wouldn't consider it painful....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

raememetim HB User

I have had my thyroid removed not bad got over it in a week. Also had a liver biopsy hurt like **** but a small needle biopsy is not bad they numb the area a little.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
(female)

sjde HB User

My doctor won't use a numbing agent. He says THAT hurts because it's a larger needle.

Closed Thread