It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: hypothyroid symptoms for years neg tsh,t3,t4

FNB is almost never done solely to diagnose Hashimoto's, even though it's the only 100% way to diagnose it. However, when your nodule is biopsied, they will be able to tell you if that's what you have. It sort of doesn't matter, though. The treatment of hypoT is the same no matter what's causing it.

Sometimes an US report will remark about the texture changes that Hashi's causes. I suspect - but don't know for sure - that those changes are not always very obvious, especially in the earlier stages.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-18-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #17
(female)

jeansp HB User

Thank You
If it is Hashimoto and I have a nodule to they take it out or give med?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #18
(female)

jeansp HB User

I was told by a friend (nurse practitioner of pediatric endo) that I should really have an uptake scan as well because us doesn't always pick up all of the nodules esp if it is on the back side of the thyroid. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also thought or answers on my previous post. I'm so tired of this long drawn out process. Waiting on tests and drs are the worst. I hate waiting for everything And I'm not sure what I should be requesting from drs because we all know they don't order everything they should. Please help and give me more info.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeansp View Post
T3 =28, T4=8.6, TSH=1.2
I too had a mass and had it removed 2 years ago. I go for labs once every 3 months which is not quick enough for me, but that is how it is.

Usually they will not even FNA if the mass is very small. I have a small cyst on the other lobe they US every 6 months, but say it is not growing.

I recently had a lab done and my TSH had gone from .7 which is very good for me, up to to 1.3 which is bad for me.

If my TSH is not under 1.0 I am in trouble. It sounds like you are the same. You probably need your TSH around 1 or way less.

And the labs don't tell the true story for me. 1.3 sounds ok but for me it is hypo!

The needle biopsy is not painful. They apply pressure tho so they can insert the needle many places. It is NOTHING to fear.

You will be fine, even if you need surgery. Then you take a pill or two a day and life will improve. If they don't want to do surgery and you are hypo you will need meds undoubtably!!

I did not know how bad I felt until I had the surgery and finally felt good. Everyone around you is energetic and you are lying on the couch.

Your t gland is the reason.

Last edited by golfhat; 03-19-2011 at 02:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to golfhat For This Useful Post:
jeansp (03-19-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
(female)

jeansp HB User

Ok, ladies I'm confused. Please help. Still haven't had biopsy yet...next Wed. I was able to get the dr to check antibodies and this is what I was told. Tg Ab mine is <20 and normal is <20 anti-TPO was <10 and normal is <35. They also ordered celiac panel because years about 5-6yrs ago I had EGD and the GI doc was pretty sure I had celiac because the lining in my sm bowel was smooth with no villi. When the results came back from the biopsy it was negative...no bld work was done then just biopsy. This time they just did blood work. I'm so confused and frustrated. As soon as I feel like we are going in the right direction I get kicked back down. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

You are still going in the right direction. The fact that you have negative antibody levels tells you that, as of right now, your body is not producing antibodies that will destroy your thyroid. Many people with hypothyroidism do not have antibodies.

It's good your GI test came back negative - one less thing to worry about. There's a good chance your GI issues are caused by hypothyroidism.

It is clear that you've been hypothyroid for awhile....it would be very good if you could get those FreeT4 and FreeT3 labs done.

You just might need to doctor-shop to find a knowledgeable doctor but it is very much worth the effort.

You deserve to feel better!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
(female)

jeansp HB User

Thank You for responding Sammy64. I did get a new PCP and I don't think I'm going to stick with this endo because she is a FIRM believer that if your are in the normal range you do not have thyroid problems. She also doesn't believe in any meds for Hashimotos if in normal range. I didn't get my bld test results back yet for Celiac, they are retesting because still having lots of stomach problems that ended being dx as IBS. I will have to ask for Free t3 and Free t4. Are the antibody range different from lab to lab?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Endos (3) never did right by me....I found my "charm" in the form of an internist (my GP was clueless).

Endos are in short supply and mostly treat the ever-increasing population of diabetics....and, to make matters worse, the thyroid doesn't get much attention in medical school, period.

But, there are doctors out there that "get it"....it's "just" a matter of finding one.

I wish you the best of luck re Celiacs - it's not uncommon to have more than one autoimmune disease. I am going with the thought that your GI problems are a result of your long-standing hypothyroidism....and will improve upon proper thyroid treatment.

If you Google hypothyroid symptoms and look at the lists compiled from patients' experiences, you will discover easily 60-70 symptoms. Throw in the additional health problems caused by hypothyroidism (anemia, high cholesterol, low BP, osteopenia, etc., etc., etc.) and you'll understand why it's important to get properly medicated

Antibody ranges can vary from lab to lab but, yours are most definitely below-range and I really wouldn't be too concerned anyway.

Hashi's or not, you are hypothyroid....and treatment would be the same - dosing based upon FT4 and FT3 levels.

Best of luck to you on your journey towards wellness!

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
jeansp (04-01-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
(female)

jeansp HB User

I got back the results for my biopsy and they said benign follicular see ent in 6mths to see if nodule is any bigger. From what I've been reading they say you can not determine benign from malignant with FNA for follicular nodules. I'm a little concerned because the ent didn't mention anything about this. Anyone know anything about this? Any opinions.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think it would be a good idea for you to start a new thread about this so it will get the largest amount of attention....

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
jeansp (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #26
(female)

jeansp HB User

The biopsy from my nodule came back benign follicular and I was told to go back to ent 6mth to see if size increase. From what I've been reading, they say you can not determine the difference between follicular benign or malignancy with FNA. Anyone know the answer to this? Sorry didn't mean to post twice

Last edited by jeansp; 04-11-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: accidentally posted twice

Closed Thread