It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

ann1209 HB Userann1209 HB Userann1209 HB User
Hyper or Graves?

I was reading online about hyperthroidism and saw that most people that are hyper also have graves. How can I find out if I am? Thanks for any help really worried?

BLOOD WORK RESULTS

TSH .01 RANGE IS .34-5.60
FT4 2.37 RANGE IS .58-1.64
TOTAL T3 2.53 RANGE IS .70-1.80

The TSH was tested twice and both times it was .01 and thats when my cardio said we need more blood work before we can find out if its my heart that is wrong. He called me 2 days ago and said that I am positive for hyper and I need to go see a endo, not sure how to spell the whole word, so I called my family dr and he said for me to come in and see him, this is the same dr that said my blood work was perfect for me to go see a cardio, thank goodness for cardio's that really look at the results.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hyper or Graves?

I'm so glad the cardio didn't make you undergo the stress test. Seriously... very glad. Stressing the heart of a hyperT person to that degree can actually kill.

Most people who are hyperthyroid have Graves' disease. To find out, you must have a TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin) antibody test. It's the most accurate test for diagnosing Graves'. I would not assume a general practice MD would necessarily know how to treat the disease, especially one who missed the abnormal labs in the first place. He's not your guy for this.

I have the opposite problem from yours. I'm hypothyroid, which is 8 times more common than hyperT. Even though endocrinologists are the absolute worse treaters of hypoT, (and for that reason I tell hypoT folks they can get better help from other places) ... For hyperT folks, endos are almost a necessity. But you have to educate yourself to know what kind of treatment is best for you personally, because many of them tend to push people into treatments that are less than desirable.

Go see that endo. See what he says. If he prescribes a beta blocker and an anti-thyroid drug for you, that's good. If he says that RAI (radioactive iodine) is the only treatment that'll work, that's bad; find someone else to treat you. Let us know what happens... We can probably offer some guidance depending on what happens at the visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
ann1209 (03-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

I have Graves' disease and everything midwest1 told you is right-on....especially about the endo's recommendations.

Graves' is a self-limiting disorder which means there is a period of active disease (hyperthyroidism) and then remission. 80-90% of people taking anti-thyroid drugs can go into remission if they are allowed to take those meds long enough until remission is confirmed vs. some arbitrary timeframe.

The key to healing from Graves' and feeling well with the disease is to make sure that you are medicated properly.

Just as people with hypothyroidism have trouble being medicated properly, so do we Graves' patients.

I've been down the Graves' road since June 2007 and have done a TON of research besides participating on several thyroid forums.

I went into remission back in Nov. 09 and, in March of last year, joined the 20% of Graves' patients that move into hypothyroidism. This can be temporary but, just like hyperthyroidism, it must be treated.

I've learned what needs to be done to feel well while having Graves' disease and am more than happy to share .

edited to add PS: I saw a succession of 3 endos - none of them knew how to medicate properly for Graves'....I was in remission by the time I found a "with-it" doctor, an internist.

She proved to me just how "with-it" she was when I went hypo under her care. Please check in with us as you move forward - we can help you sort things out.

Last edited by cd37; 03-16-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: PS

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
ann1209 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

well I had my appointment today, the dang idiot said I may not even have hyper, just because I have every symptom and my blood work said I did, he still is not sure. He wants me to have and ultrasound and a radioactive scan done. Scared to death this dr is a idiot.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB Usercd37 HB User

Please save yourself radiation exposure - you do NOT need a scan.

The scan has become obsolete since thyroid ultrasounds and antibody testing came into being. In fact, the scan can't be relied upon to give accurate information.

The condition of your thyroid (including presence of nodules) can be confirmed with a thyroid ultrasound.

Graves' can be confirmed by the TSI test midwest1 told you about.

Any chance you could see another doctor?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

Trying to get in to see a endo now, left message at like 3 different ones the idiot dr recommended lol. Thanks for all the help will let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I hope you're able to get into see a doctor pretty soon....some endos have 3-month waiting lists.

Just so you know, you really don't need an endo to treat you - they are in short supply and mainly treat the ever-increasing population of diabetics.

My first 3 endos did not know how to medicate properly for Graves'. I found a "with-it" doctor in the form of an internist.

Thyroid forum members often told me that a DO, internist or holistic doctor can often be better at treating Graves'/hyperthyroidism than an endo.

One way to find a "with-it" doctor is to call your pharmacist and ask for contact info for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel. Now, both of these meds are for hypothyroidism treatment *but* doctors that Rx these meds understand some vital aspects of thyroid disease that many other doctors don't.

Just an idea......

Please keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to cd37 For This Useful Post:
ann1209 (03-17-2011)
Closed Thread