Re: Biopsy Results....Suspicious & Highly Suspicious
That is not a tiny nodule, considering a normal thyroid lobe is only about 3-4 cm itself. If your nodule was under 1 cm, it would be small, and you could wait, but if it's over 1 cm, that's a normal sized nodule, and it should go before it grows and possibly spreads. It's more common on here for suspicious for follicular cancer, that turns out to be benign. It's not common to get suspicious for papillary.
I wish I had found mine and got it out at that size. Mine grew to over 2 cm, and it spread into the muscle in front of it. You are lucky.
Why don't you send the slides to another pathologist for further testing? Maybe that will help.
The surgeon will probably just want to take one lobe, and then if it's cancer, you would want to take the other lobe, because there's no way to know if there is cancer---such as little micro-cancers growing on the other side.
You would have to go on hormone anyway if it were cancer, because you would want to be suppressed to prevent it from recurring even if you kept the other side. So personally, I would ask the surgeon to take the whole thing, but most approach it as a lobectomy with suspicious results. I wouldn't want two surgeries.
The reason they take out the whole thyroid, and then eradicate any thyroid tissue, is that this way, you can be "cured." Nobody knows why it grew on one side, and it can certainly spread if it hasn't already to the other. So if you have no thyroid tissue, you don't have any cancer.
Find a fantastic thyroid surgeon, and then use that experienced surgeon's expertise to make a decision.