It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

mtsugal08 HB User
Doctors in Nashville

Hi,

I am currently looking for a doctor in the Nashville area that can treat me for hypothyroidism. I have recently been to several doctors with all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but since my thyroid levels are normal they will not treat me. My TSH, T3 and T4 levels are all within the 'normal' range, but I tested positive for the presence of thyroid antibodies. I cannot find anyone who will treat me even though all of the symptoms are present. I feel terrible all of the time and I am getting so discouraged Does anyone know of good doctor that will look at more than just the lab results???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Re: Doctors in Nashville

James K. Rone, an Endo at Murfreesboro Medical Clinic. At one time, he was no longer accepting new patients, don't know if this is still the case. He wrote a good book, The Thyroid Paradox, How to Get the Best Care for Hypothyroidism. Fox 17 did a news story on him, I know the video is available online on their site if you search. He has hypothyroidism himself.

Hang in there. He does consider the whole pic, not just lab results. If he is still not accepting new patients, I would still suggest getting his book. If you can't find it at the bookstore, it is sold in his office.

Last edited by one2wonder; 03-31-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

mtsugal08 HB User

thank you for the suggestion! I actually called his office a few days ago and the earliest that they could schedule a new patient appointment is October! I was hoping to find something a lot sooner than that

Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Might be worth taking the appointment for now. You can call every so often to see if there are any cancellations. At the very least, if you can't find someone who will treat you or even discuss treating you, you will still have that appointment.

Last edited by one2wonder; 03-31-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

pemmy HB User

I am in the same boat as you. I have different names of doctors in Nashville area not sure of who to go, too. Have you found anyone else to go to in Nashville area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsugal08 View Post
Hi,

I am currently looking for a doctor in the Nashville area that can treat me for hypothyroidism. I have recently been to several doctors with all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but since my thyroid levels are normal they will not treat me. My TSH, T3 and T4 levels are all within the 'normal' range, but I tested positive for the presence of thyroid antibodies. I cannot find anyone who will treat me even though all of the symptoms are present. I feel terrible all of the time and I am getting so discouraged Does anyone know of good doctor that will look at more than just the lab results???

Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
(female)

mtsugal08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
Might be worth taking the appointment for now. You can call every so often to see if there are any cancellations. At the very least, if you can't find someone who will treat you or even discuss treating you, you will still have that appointment.
That is a good idea. Do you have any idea if they have cancellations very often? I am still going to search for another doctor in the meantime. Has anyone been to Dr. Stephen Reisman from the MindBody Medical Center??

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Another way to find a "with-it" doctor is to call your pharmacist and get contact info for doctors that Rx Armour and/or Cytomel....these are both T3-containing meds that "with-it" doctors Rx.

Networking can also be effective. I found my current doctor (#5) thanks to my nail tech.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemmy View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I have different names of doctors in Nashville area not sure of who to go, too. Have you found anyone else to go to in Nashville area.
Why not make appointments with all of them? If the first doctor is good, you can cancel the other appointments. If not, "n-e-x-t"

(this is what I did when doctor-shopping.....I got lucky on the third try)

Last edited by sammy64; 04-01-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsugal08 View Post
That is a good idea. Do you have any idea if they have cancellations very often? I am still going to search for another doctor in the meantime. Has anyone been to Dr. Stephen Reisman from the MindBody Medical Center??
I am not sure how often Dr. Rone has cancellations. Probably as much as any other doctor office. I think part of the issue with how long it takes to get in is that he is only in his office a few days a week. I think that one thing that does set him apart from other docs is that since he actually has hypothyroidism, he knows what it feels like. He's also willing to look beyond labs and at the whole picture, so that does help tremendously.

I don't know anything about Dr. Reisman.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
(female)

mtsugal08 HB User

Well, thanks to a ton of research, I FINALLY found a great doctor in Nashville. She is actually a nurse practitioner at an alternative medicine clinic. Her name is Paige Adams and she is with The Center for Proactive Medicine. She spent about 2.5 hours talking to me and finally diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. She also prescribed Armour which I was very happy about. I hope this helps someone else who is struggling to find a good doctor in the Nashville area

Closed Thread