It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

midnightbird HB User
thyroid problem, is it serious?

hello..

am so worried, can someone explain this to me pls?

My TSH and T4 is normal but T3 is .7, lower from normal value which is .8-1.90nglml.

My ENT said, the difference of .1 is nothing. But i'm having difficulty in breathing and i easily get tired. He asked me to do ultrasound. The result is:

The thyroid gland is enlarged.
There are cystic small nodules in both lobes, more on the right w/ the ff. measurements: Right lobe:
upper pole anechoic cyst: 7.3mm x 4.3mm,
interpolar anechoic cyst:4.1mm x 2.4mm
Inferior polar septated cyst with internal vascularity: 13.mm x 7.6mm
Left lobe:
Inferior pole anechoic cyst: 3.8 x 2.8mm
The rest of the cysts are also subcentimeter in size with no internal vascularity.
The isthmus is 1.5mm thick.
The thyroid parenchyma shows normal vascularity on the Doppler interrogation.
The right thyroid lobe measures 37mm x 19.4mm x 9.4mm while the left lobe measures 37.4mm x 17.5mm x 9.4mm.
The adjacent fat are preserved.

Impression: Mild thyromegaly with cysts, one right lobe septated cyst with septal vascularity.

My ent prescibed levothyroxine 50mcg for a week, then i went back to him after. He said i should undergo needle biopsy, coz i was asking him if its cancerous. And he gave me another dosage of levo for a month with the same 50mcg.
I can't ask him coz am shy, if i take levo for a month, won't it get me hyperthy? And do i really need to undergo needle bio? am afraid, is it hurting?

What is septated cyst?

thank you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: thyroid problem, is it serious?

In the US, thyroid cysts and nodules aren't usually biopsied until they reach 1 cm in size. None of yours is that large, so I don't see why you would need a biopsy to be done just yet. (But, I'm not very knowledgeable about nodules, so don't rely on my word about it.) It's unlikely that you have thyroid cancer; I wouldn't worry about it, if it were me.

Your low T3 could very well account for your fatigue. It also could be that your TSH and T4 are not really "normal". It's quite possible that your doctor just isn't interpreting those test results properly. Even if your T4 is within its range, if it's low in that range, it's too low. Those low T levels could even be responsible for all those lumps in your thyroid gland.

Fifty mcgs is the lowest therapeutic dose of levoT. If your T levels are as low as I suspect them to be, you need it. Don't fear going hyperthyroid within only 5 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
midnightbird (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

midnightbird HB User

thank you very much, midwest1! quite relieved..

dr. said though, i have a 13mm.x7.6 mm. septated cyst, maybe he thinks that's not small that needs to be biopsied?

Actually my T4 result is 9.0, normal value is 5.0 -13.0
and my tsh result is 0.8 UIU/ml with normal value - 0.4 - 7.0 UIU/ml.

i think my tsh is too low in the normal range?

I want to see another ENT. Is it okay?

Thanks..

Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
i have a 13mm.x7.6 mm. septated cyst...
Please forgive my unfamiliarity with the metric system. Of course... 13 mm is 1.3 cm. Yes, that should probably be biopsied. For most people who've reported their biopsy experiences here on the board, it was an easy, relatively painless procedure. And don't fear too much that you have cancer. More than 95% of nodules are not.

Your TSH is okay, not too low. Your T4 is mid-range, which might be okay too. Your T3 - which wasn't tested - could be too low. It would be a good thing to have tested. A low-range level, when coupled with only mid-range T4, could be responsible for your fatigue.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

midnightbird HB User

thank you so much again, midwest1. it feels good when somebody listens.

i'll be finishing my levo then be back to my dr. after.
whatever happens next.... am praying everything will turn out fine.

thanks much.

Closed Thread