It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

sanyadz HB User
Can levothyroxine cause weight gain?

I have come across message boards where people are complaining that they have put on a lot of weight since they started taking levothyroxine, which is a bit surprising to me, because, as far as I know, Synthroid is supposed to speed up your metabolism and bring it back to normal.

Can levothyroxine really cause weight gain? I'd like to hear your experiences.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

gloriak_55 HB User
Re: Can levothyroxine cause weight gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyadz View Post
I have come across message boards where people are complaining that they have put on a lot of weight since they started taking levothyroxine, which is a bit surprising to me, because, as far as I know, Synthroid is supposed to speed up your metabolism and bring it back to normal.

Can levothyroxine really cause weight gain? I'd like to hear your experiences.
I was just going to go on here and post a similar question. I have been on it since March 20th after TT and RAI and won't have any labs done until April 22nd. I am gaining weight! Have gained 13 lbs since TT in Dec. I'd like to know also if this is how it's going to be...a struggle with weight and I am already very overweight! I would say my appetite has picked up since being on it and I feel less motivated than even before! This is not good! I want to know too if everyone who has gone on it has the weight gain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Levothyroxine itself has no side effects. (it is a hormone replacement to compensate for the body's inability to produce enough thyroid hormone to meet the body's needs)

Weight issues can happen when thyroid hormone levels have not been optimized.

So, it's not sufficient to just take levothyroxine....the dose should be adjusted so the FreeT4 level is in the upper third of the range.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-05-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
So, it's not sufficient to just take levothyroxine....the dose should be adjusted so the FreeT4 level is in the upper third of the range.
And to expand on that... The free T3 level also needs to be watched. If That level isn't also within the upper part of its range, weight loss will be much tougher. Not everyone can produce enough T3 from the T4 they take. If they aren't, a T3 med has to be added to the regimen.

Also, at the very beginning of treatment, old symptoms might worsen and/or new ones might appear. Weight gain is one of the things that could go awry during early treatment, and it should return to normal once levels are optimal and stable for a few months.

It's my belief that people who say the "med makes me gain weight" have a lot of other issues going on. Weight gain is not solely dependent on thyroid levels, so it can't be solely blamed on that. Someone who has begun treatment and is feeling otherwise better could be eating more because their appetite has been re-awakened, or they now have the energy to prepare meals when they could barely get out of bed before, or because the hypo-induced depression is lifting.... possibilities all. Just being in treatment is no guarantee that excess weight will suddenly begin melting away... Just as being hypo is no guarantee that everyone who has it will gain weight. It's just a much more complicated subject than to generalize like that.

Closed Thread