It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

faithdownunder HB User
Cold and tingling fingers, hands and feet - Total Thyroidectomy

I had a total thyroidectomy almost 5 weeks ago. I immediately noticed I had cold hands and feet. Then two weeks ago I started having slight tingling in my fingers and hands. Since then, its progressed and the tingling hurts (especially when I wash my hands or hit my hand/fingers against something) and the tingling is in my feet now.

I had my calcium, magnesium and potassium checked yesterday and all three are in the normal. The nurse at my thyroid surgeons office told me to go see my GP. I just find it odd that this has happened three weeks after my surgery. I just emailed my thyroid Dr. and hope he'll shed some more light onto it before I go to the GP.

I do not have any other symptoms for hypothyroid or the Levoxyl either. I do have low blood pressure normally as well. 95/65 and I have to be on a beta blocker for POTS (postural Tachycardia).

Has anyone else had issues with the tingling and pins and needles in feet and hands post thyroidectomy? ANY help would be grateful. Thank You!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
(female)

faithdownunder HB User
Re: Cold and tingling fingers, hands and feet - Total Thyroidectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithdownunder View Post
I had a total thyroidectomy almost 5 weeks ago. I immediately noticed I had cold hands and feet. Then two weeks ago I started having slight tingling in my fingers and hands. Since then, its progressed and the tingling hurts (especially when I wash my hands or hit my hand/fingers against something) and the tingling is in my feet now.

I had my calcium, magnesium and potassium checked yesterday and all three are in the normal. The nurse at my thyroid surgeons office told me to go see my GP. I just find it odd that this has happened three weeks after my surgery. I just emailed my thyroid Dr. and hope he'll shed some more light onto it before I go to the GP.

I do not have any other symptoms for hypothyroid or the Levoxyl either. I do have low blood pressure normally as well. 95/65 and I have to be on a beta blocker for POTS (postural Tachycardia).

Has anyone else had issues with the tingling and pins and needles in feet and hands post thyroidectomy? ANY help would be grateful. Thank You!
Update:

Surgeon said that it sounded like Raynauld's Syndrome, which my symptoms do match this. However, he thought it was coincidental so close to surgery. He said it could very much be that I'm not getting enough thyroid med's and that we won't get an accurate thyroid test until 8 weeks post surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

How much Levoxyl are you taking? I believe post-surgery patients are started on at least 100mcg.

I didn't post earlier 'cuz I was hoping others with more experience would chime in....will admit, I thought your symptoms might be hypo but, in the absence of other hypo symptoms, I wasn't sure.

I find waiting things out to be quite challenging sometimes.

Hope you get some answers!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
How much Levoxyl are you taking? I believe post-surgery patients are started on at least 100mcg.

I didn't post earlier 'cuz I was hoping others with more experience would chime in....will admit, I thought your symptoms might be hypo but, in the absence of other hypo symptoms, I wasn't sure.

Thanks. I am on 112mg of Lev. I really don't think I have other hypothyroid things going on but who knows what "normal" feels like after trying to convince Dr.'s for four years that something isn't right. You know?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post

Had my thyroid levels checked today and waiting on results. Endo said he has a feeling i'm not on enough med's. I started having achy joints today and very tired. We'll see. Its bad but I want the results to show that I'm low so I can get on the right amount of medicine and feel better.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Doctor just rang. My TSH is 15. My tingling hands and feet are definitely from hypothyroid. Five weeks post surgery today. He's bumping me to 137 mg of Levoxyl. I was on 112mg.

Thank you Sammy 64 for your insight.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Glad you found it, hope you start feeling better soon!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Any idea how long it takes for the medicine to work and when I'll start to feel better?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Everyone is different...you never know, it may kick in right away---could take about 4 weeks.....that might not be your final dose---you need full thyroid replacement (my mother in law is larger sized, she takes about 250mcgs with no thyroid, and I'm smaller and need between 150/175 for suppression to prevent thyroid cancer recurrence) , but maybe your symptoms might not be as intense or they might go away gradually.....just know you are going to get better, and perhaps focusing on that will help you as you get there.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
(female)

faithdownunder HB User

Thanks Reece. Ya, I am smaller too. I thought it was odd that i was on 137mg because my book says that's the dosage for 30+ pounds more. I didn't have cancer either. Either way, just happy we caught it.

My thyroid surgeon didn't want to test my thyroid until after 8 weeks post surgery. That's still 3 weeks away. I'm glad I used my intuition and called my endo.

So new to all of this hypo/hyper so thanks for your help.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Glad you'll be getting a dose increase.

I suspect you've done this already but, in case you haven't, you might want to make note of the hypothyroidism symptoms listed in the thyroid information section on here....this way, you'll have some idea, should any manifest.

I hope there will come a time when your doctor doesn't dose you based just upon TSH because, once TSH gets in-range, that doesn't necessarily mean your thyroid hormone levels are right for you.

Does your doctor run at least the FreeT4 test each time? And, without a thyroid, it's important to make sure that your body is properly converting the T4 in your levo into the T3 that is actually used by your body. To make sure that conversion is working properly, it's a good idea to check the FreeT3 level as well.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread